Chapter 28

What an arrogant asshole. He has the balls to sit at my table, ask me intrusive questions, and then has the audacity to assume I'm sleeping with Calix?

I pass a mirror in the hall and see my eyes starting to glow. I need to calm down.

I throw the door to my room open and a few minutes later, walk out in a bikini and shorts.

When I arrive at the doors leading to the beach, the Kappas move to block me, but I just snarl, "Let me through." They move apart and I storm outside.

I call out to my trident, which is back at the island. As I feel it moving towards me, I start to move towards it too, starting out with a brisk walk that turns into a jog, then a run, and then into a full-on sprint. Right as it comes into sight, I leap up in the air and grab it.

Once I touch down, I smile to myself and twirl the trident a bit, before swinging it upwards, as if to smack someone in the head. I turn my trident sideways and jab it to the right and then to the left. I continue to dance with my weapon and invisible opponents as I move around in the sand. 

Out of the corner of my eyes, I can see werewolves crowding around the ballroom windows to watch me.

I can sense someone coming out of the doors that lead to the beach and she only gets out, "Miss, the Alpha King wants-" before I chuck my trident at her.

The weapon impales the wall just inches away from her with a loud thunk and some debris from the brick falls down. She lets out a terrified squeak. 

I turn back to the guests in the ballroom and send them glares as I hold my hand out for my trident. I can see some of their eyes widen in surprise. My eyes reach Calix as soon as my weapon comes back to me. He's the only one who doesn't look shocked.

I tear my eyes from him and walk away, slamming my trident into the sand on the way.

I suddenly feel a rumbling in the ground and I instantly turn around and take a defensive position. But I know what's coming before it does.

Cracks form around me, coming from my trident in the ground, swallowing up some of the sand. And then it's quiet.

Suddenly water bursts up from the cracks. I hardly have time to think before the ground opens below me and swallows me up.

As I sink into the watery crack, my tail automatically forms. I twist my body until I can see the surface and then pump my tail towards the light. Once I reach the top of the crack, I force the water to create a ring of space around me. After taking a deep breath, I close my eyes and feel for the water. I focus on the highest points and force them to come down.

All of a sudden, the water swirls around me and I fall onto my ass. I watch as the water around me disappears into the ground, before closing up. I look up to see a man standing on the shore with his arm stretched out.

"All these years on the island with Neri and you still don't know how to control water."

"Alexi," I breathe and place a hand over my mouth. I scramble to my feet and run up to him, stopping at arms length. I reach my hand out and place it on his cheek, which to my surprise, is solid.

"Alexi, is that really you?"

Alexi grins. "Of course it's me. Who else would it be?"

I wrap my arms around his neck and pull myself into him. Alexi lifts me off the ground slightly and spins me around. "I missed you," I whisper.

"I missed you too," Alexi whispers back, interrupting me before I can continue on with my next part.

"I know, but what are you doing here?"