Chapter 2: Oblivion

The next several weeks went by in a blur, learning the ins and outs of logistics with this organization. Il-nam initially got you acquainted with the control room, guard's quarters, and VIP residence, though they were all empty as the next games wouldn't start for several months. Right now it was you, Il-nam, In-ho, and several lower-level employees staying on the island.

The lower-level employees mainly helped with finding players for the next game, which you learned about first with Il-nam. Knowing the lengths they go to find potential players, you weren't surprised how they found you. Before sending player information to the recruiters, all players were approved by yourself, Il-nam, and In-ho.

Working with In-ho was just as you expected after your first encounter with him. He was exceptionally cold towards you, always second-guessing your input and generally wanting nothing to do with you. You never saw him when in your main residence because he was barely there. And he never took off the mask.

Although you had your own mask, you really had no need to wear one since you only encountered Il-nam and In-ho. Player information was always sent to your computer, so you mainly worked at your desk in your bedroom once you got comfortable with where everything was. You usually left the door open, but almost never heard In-ho there during the day.

Sometimes at night, after getting into bed, you'd hear In-ho enter the residence from the elevator and quickly retreat to his room after using the bathroom or having a drink. You never saw him eat, but you know he did at some point because certain things would disappear from the kitchen and be promptly restocked.

It was quite lonely after a while, but you didn't mind too much. It was nice to have something to do during the days, and you liked having a feeling of power and control in the games. No matter how many times In-ho seemed to discredit you, Il-nam valued your opinion. But the more you felt comfortable in your role, the more In-ho seemed to hate you.

Occasionally, the three of you would meet in a conference room to go over player info and general logistics concerning the upcoming games, such as making sure rooms were set up and beginning the recruitment process for guards. You were generally a very logical thinker, and you found ways to streamline the process here and there. Yet you were met with resistance every time by In-ho. No matter how good an idea you came up with, he always had something to say about it.

After a while, it started to be more than a small nuisance. You had thick skin and could handle way more than some man's opinion of you, but at this point it was incredibly annoying. You requested a meeting with Il-nam alone to discuss the issue.

Over a couple mugs of coffee (it always surprised you how nice Il-nam came off considering the fact that he runs death games), Il-nam listened intently to your concerns. You were sure to voice your concerns in an unbiased manner, but you felt Il-nam could sense your annoyance no matter what.

He sipped his coffee and took a long pause. "I, too, have noticed his behavior. It's not right what he does, but it might help to understand that while you both came from the same position, your ways of processing it and your lives are vastly different. In-ho has been through a lot, even before joining us. He lost his senior position in the police force and he's been basically separated from his family since winning."

You sat in silence, pondering his words, but to you it seemed like bullshit. So what? You lost your position at your investment firm and barely speak to your family anymore. That doesn't give you a pass to be a complete asshole to someone.

You sighed. "Haven't we all had things to deal with in this life? It isn't my fault he's a failed cop and it isn't his fault I'm a failed investment banker. He's treated me like trash for weeks and yet I still manage to be cordial at the very least."