| 16.2

[DAMIEN]

Elena didn't have one drink. Or two.

She had five.

I watched from the corner of the room. What else could I do? Her father had news, sure. It was something I wanted to hear and swore he mentioned it. Or had I imagined it?

Either way, my internal excitement didn't match Elena's obvious turmoil. After finishing her fourth glass, practically chugging the fifth, her face was pressed against Theo's chest as he struggled to keep her standing. And looking presentable.

With my cup in my hand and my back against the wall, I slowly sipped the fizzy drink in my hand. Someone had to appear normal in the room.

"At least you're handling this well enough." Marleth slowly approached me from around a table. I glanced at her as she smiled, finger tracing the top of her glass. She lifted it, toasting me.

I copied the gesture and took another sip. "I guess I am."

"Mhm." Marleth made herself comfortable beside me. I shifted to the right a bit to give her room on the wall, to which she smiled and nodded; a silent thank you.

I wondered what I could say in the silence, but Marleth took the moment. "We all knew the mock tour would commence soon. It usually appears within a day or so, but," using her glass, she pointed at Elena, "I don't think the Princess was ready. Mentally, it seems, anyway. She was asking me strange questions before this event and I'm worried."

Strange questions? Or were they strange because Marleth wasn't sure how to answer them? Her request to talk to me outside made sense, then; her mind had to be racing with thoughts, with the need for answers. I chuckled into my glass as it all came together in my head.

Elena was torn about her world, just as I was torn about mine.

"What's so funny?" Marleth bumped me with her shoulder as we both looked back at Elena. While I wasn't laughing at her, Elena's look as a Princess wasn't in a good moment. Her cheeks were red, eyes half-lidded. Theo struggled to keep her standing, smiling awkwardly as people passed by.

He was to be the Queen's guard when Elena took the throne, right? That was my understanding. And as much as I didn't like him or his personality, I commended him for not giving him. Even as she slid her hand over his face. "Look at you," Elena cheered in a slurred speech.

My brows lifted. When I glanced at Marleth, hers was as high as mine. But humor wasn't on her face. There was jealousy, a hint of sadness. Resentment? I didn't know her well enough to judge the situation—I didn't know anyone well enough—but I had seen enough movies and read enough books to spot the reaction.

Leaning over towards the closest table, I placed my glass on top of it and turned towards Marleth. She eyed me for a moment, finished her glass in one gulp, then handed it to me. "I suppose it is a little funny."

"I wasn't laughing at her," I said, honestly. It was the truth. I laughed because I realized Elena and I were both lost, confused souls.

"Oh." Marleth looked back at Elena and Theo and chewed on her lip. "She just shouldn't be there," she pointed at them, "but Theo can't leave this event. He's supposed to stay. It's his duty."

I placed Marleth's empty glass next to mine. "Well, I could take her upstairs." Fixing the collar of my jacket, I then adjusted my sleeves. "She'll crash as soon as she hits the bed, anyway."

"Crash?" Marleth blinked as she rubbed her hands together. I thought she'd ask questions about what I said, but she grabbed my arm instead. She gave my sleeve a quick rubbed before she looked back at Theo and Elena. "If it's all right with you, are you able to take Elena to her room?"