| 26.2

[DAMIEN]

Looking into Elena's eyes, I thought back to the moment—that moment. Eon was ready to attack. His beast approached from deep in the forest. And in the face of danger, Elena took her chance. She reached back, grabbed me, and without hesitation, she kissed me.

That moment felt like it could've been my last. But it wasn't. I was here in front of her again, standing in the castle that ruled the land of my people. My heart rushed with emotion—I wanted to help her and make sure the kingdom, with all the humans in it, stood a chance. I knew the Attributions like the back of my hand. I could dismantle the lower grades with my eyes closed. Preparing them for the inevitable made sense to me.

Just like the overpowering thought, the need, to kiss her.

As I stood in front of her, too close, face just an inch from hers, that moment flooded through me. Her eyes were different now. We weren't facing danger, not for another day. The air was calm. Peaceful. The cheers and music from Homestead paraded the air with ferocity. I heard them. Felt them.

And found myself focused on the look in her eyes.

"You're never alone, Damien," she whispered.

A spark went off in my chest. My face burned. I traced my tongue along my bottom lip. "I know."

Lifting my hand, I told myself I'd ease into this. Our first kiss was powered by fear. Our first moment was one drink too many. But this, right in front of me, was equal. Genuine. As if the waves pushing through my heart slipped into her and shimmered in her eyes. They hooded once she lifted her chin to look up at me. Her lips parted when I moved too close. As she moved to close the distance between us, I cupped her cheek.

"I thought you weren't going to come back." Her breath was warm against my lips. "I was afraid you died."

"I was afraid I'd never see you again." My hand slid over her cheek, through her hair, until I cupped the back of her head.

"Damien."

At the sound of my name, I accepted the moment. Just like my heart wanted, I kissed her. Our lips met and locked. Heat rushed through my body as I closed my eyes and focused on nothing else but her. The feeling of her; her scent, her taste. The sound of my heart pounded in my head; or was it Elena's? With the way her hands quickly wrapped around my neck as if I weren't there, as if I were a ghost or a dream, it could've been hers.

I did the same to her. I pulled her closer and dipped my head. No part of me wanted this to end. I relished it. Savored it. When Elena pulled back to take in a breath, I pressed my forehead to hers.

Her eyes closed. "We can't stay out here all night," she whispered. "We have to check on the others. Make sure they're okay and know what we plan to do."

Taking in a deep breath, I nodded. "I know." She was right, and I had to agree.

As did Carmine, who took three steps out of his stable and grunted with frustration. With my head still close to hers, I glanced at him. "Carmine agrees, too." I smirked.

Elena turned her head and looked at him, too. "Carmine is always good at this." She linked her hand with mine and walked toward her horse. I followed, watching as she stroked the side of his face. "It's as if it's in his nature to stop me from enjoying a moment."

I locked eyes with the horse. He blinked; the obsidian of his eyes focused on me. "Or maybe he's trying to protect you."

"I think you're right." Elena looked at me.

And Carmine neighed.

I laughed. "He agrees."

*