| 30.2

[Damien]

Elena's voice echoed behind me. As much as I wanted to turn and look at her, I couldn't. My father needed me. Eon lost his mind, and if I lose the one person, whether he was a man or machine, I wouldn't be able to handle myself. Arvon wasn't perfect, but that's what made him human to me.

Perfection was a fictional idea the Attributions created on their own. Arvon's small moments kept me grounded.

I pushed my feet deeper into the frail dirt as Eon stepped back. I lifted my sword higher. "Do you hear her?" I growled at him.

The others heard her, even the machines. Everyone stopped and focused on the queen-to-be. She was their focus.

Eon wouldn't look. I was his target. As was Arvon. He dropped his hands to his sides and let the blue liquid drip from his skin. Blue puddled around his feet. "I don't care what she has to say," he hissed through gritted teeth. "We don't need humans."

I clenched my jaw. "Then why come back for me, huh." I widened my stance. "Why bring the war to this side of the Gate and force me to go back if you don't need humans? If you don't, then I'm expendable!"

Something changed on Eon's face. His lip twitched, his head tilted to one side. His fingers expanded at his side. "You said it... not I."

The world stood still for me. It was as if the wind stopped blowing. The Earth stopped spinning. And in the silence, I heard the small creaks and cracks of the Gate. I glanced back and noticed the bricks, the small flickering lights.

With all of the attacks from the surrounding Attributions, did it take damage? Was the Gate weaker than we were made to believe?

Standing on the top of it, Elena lifted her hands higher. I had to look at her now.

"Please," she shouted, "listen to me! Fighting will get us nowhere! It will be the end of us all if we continue down this road!"

All heads turned her way. A few weapons hit the ground.

"We can live together in harmony, in peace! Every capable human can help, learn, to prepare to care for each of you!"

In the silence, I heard a gentle buzz; the sound of computers receiving information. The Attributions were listening.

"How many of you wish there were more mechanics? How many wish you had one available at all times of the day?"

My brows shot up. I loosened my grip on my sword. Elena made solid points. I was only one mechanic for every Sector. If there were more people, more hands, the Attributions would receive proper care.

Eon laughed. "As she said—"

I looked back at him. The red in his eyes shifted to black. Hollow. Emptied. The look on his face struck fear in me. I stepped back out of instinct, survival. My hands trembled.

"—More mechanics? It only means you are expandable, Damien. You are replaceable!"

Eon jumped forward. It was as if my life flashed before my eyes. The world shifted into memories. Images of a brighter Sector, sun pouring over the silver structures I long called home. Sounds of my laughter as a child filled my ears. Unique's voice quickly followed. "You're such a beautiful boy," she would tell me. "So smart, so wonderful, do not give up on yourself. Go after what makes you happy. Fight, Damien."

I saw her face. Her smile. And I blinked.

The world came back. Sound returned with it. Eon's body rushed toward me as he screamed. My muscles reacted, and my hands clenched. I knew to swing, to strike, but my arms wouldn't move, my legs wouldn't bend. I was stuck, frozen, shaking to my core.

Eon's hand glowed red as it shot over his head. He was going to burn me, scar me, kill me. My body needed to move. Move! Inside, I screamed.

"Damien!" Arvon shot up at my right. He jumped in front of me, the blue from his wound dripping over my arms. With one hit, he pushed me back and out of the way. Both of his hands shot up. He caught Eon's blast just as it rushed out from his palm.

Fire cut through Arvon's shoulder. The material from his clothes, his synthetic skin, melted and fell to the ground. He didn't scream or shout in pain. He was stoic as if embracing it. As Eon screamed, Arvon looked back at me with the bravest face. "Get the Princess," he said. "Save your world."

I couldn't breathe. I watched the light flicker in his eyes but I couldn't move. Couldn't think. My knees buckled.

"Damien!" he shouted, pushing at Arvon's face. "Go!"

As Arvon fought back, I looked up at Elena. She knelt against the ledge, staring at me. Her mouth was open, her eyes wide. She was saying something, ordering me. The ferocity on her face yelled at me stronger than what she was shouting.

Why can't I hear her? Why can't I do anything? Why—

"DAMIEN!" my name erupted in the air, surrounding me. Wrapping me. The urgency in each letter, each sound, pushed through me; seeped into my muscles like electricity.

Unique's voice echoed in my ears. "Go after what makes you happy."

Gulping balls of air, I stared at Elena. She was pointing, shouting, motioning to the fight behind me. I looked back at Arvon. Both of his hands were on Eon's neck and Eon pushed back. The Attributions I knew my entire life were at death's door; the surrounding machines waited for the victor to follow.

I needed the right side to win. I needed humans to survive. But there was only one way to do this. And as much as I knew Elena was the key, she wouldn't win. Not on her own.

Humans had lost before and had remained in the dark for so many years. I needed to bring light to the bridge; connect the gap. And I needed the only Attribution who saw both sides.

My hands slid over the dirt.

"Damien!"

Dust stuck to my fingernails.

"Go!"

"Fight, Damien."

I pushed up off the ground. With one arm, I lifted my sword over my head. As I screamed into the air, I told myself I needed to fight.

I needed Arvon.

"Father!"