| 32.1

[ELENA]

He did it. Damien did it.

I watched as Eon's head rolled away from his body. As Damien dropped to his knees. His sword flopped to the side, clinking against the dry dirt.

Once the air stood still, and the static dissipated into the wind, I rushed to him. I crashed into his back, pressed my head down against my shoulder. With my chin, I felt his body tremble with his deep breaths. "Are you okay?"

A part of me wanted to congratulate him. He'd done it. He destroyed the Attributions who crossed the Gate to kill us all. But he also witnessed his father's death; he watched the light go out in the machine's eyes. That in itself overpowered whatever achievement this could have been.

And I needed to know he was okay.

But he didn't say a word.

"Damien," I rubbed his shoulders as I turned my head to look at his face, "I am here. If you aren't okay, all will be soon. I don't know if that's a promise I can make, but I will try."

He glanced at me.

I gave him a weak smile. "That is the least I can do," I whispered.

The ground under us shook. Heavy steps moved in our direction. My head snapped up as I saw the Attributions come towards us. It wasn't an advancing attack; simple steps, simply walk. Their curious eyes scanned us.

But it wasn't just them. Behind them, just as curious, were my people. The fighters from Homestead, still holding their weapons, walked with the Attributions in silence. They were waiting for me to say something; had to be waiting. The Attributions could have just needed to see the remains of the fight, and the answers for them.

If there was one thing I could do as Queen was give them the information they needed. Or at least, the information I originally wanted to provide the moment I walked to the Gate. The truce. Unity.

"Elena—" As I stood, Theo called my name. I didn't look behind to see him. I heard struggling steps and knew he would come to my side; the place of the head royal guard.

"Everyone—" I gulped. "Today, what we witnessed here—" I motioned to the fallen bodies of the Attributions. "Is a repeat of our past."

The Attributions lifted their robotic eyes. They looked at me as if listening intently. My people looked at the Attributions; everyone within Homestead knew what I came out here to do. Would the Attributions listen? Especially now after the death of the two Attributions they followed.

"I don't know what you were told before marching towards the Gate, but whatever it was, I want you to forget it." I gulped again. Fear crept up my chest, but I couldn't let it win. Not now. "We all know what happened in the past. Humans—" I placed my hands above my heart before pointing at my fighters. "—wanted to be free and be away from it all. And you—" I pointed at the Attributions next. "—participated in a war to reclaim what's yours."

With the silence settling on top the air like a thick blanket, I took my chance. I moved away from Theo and Damien and walked forward. Directly in front of an Attribution. I looked up into its eyes and found them to be a shade of gold, so different than the others. "Tell me," I said to him, "do you dream?"

He flinched and tilted his head. "Dream?"

I nodded. "Yes, dream."

His head moved the opposite way as he observed me, eyes shimmering. "Without guidance, all we are is a dream."

That wasn't an answer I expected. To be just a dream meant they couldn't exist. "What if I promise that will not happen? I can be your guidance. For each of you," I looked over at the group of Attributions, "as well as my people."

An Attribution to the right of the one I spoke to looked at me. Her eyes were blue, bright, but lacked the shimmer of her counterpart. "We do not know you," she said. "You cannot guide us."

Another answer I hadn't expected. I knew seeing them and trying to talk to them would be difficult, but I thought I could at least plead my case. I thought if I gave them the logic behind my reasons, they'd see the necessity of it all.

I couldn't find an opening to get them to understand. I felt as if I stood in front of a wall, blocked from all possibilities.

"Wait."

I turned at the sound of Damien's voice. Using his sword, he pushed himself up to a stand. With a deep breath, he stepped towards me, standing beside me. He looks at the two Attributions who spoke to me. "I will be your guide," he said to them. "You know me, don't you?"

The Attributions paused when they looked at Damien. Their eyes changed, a light passing over them. "You are Arvon's son," they said.

I blinked. Even the machines identified him as Arvon's family. This was good. It meant the Attributions could understand the power of the heart, right?

"I am," Damien said. "And I understand each of you, inside and out. So, if I guide you—" He turned his head and looked at me. "—alongside Elena, I will help the humans know you the way that I do."

My strength. Damien took hold of his title and used it well. He understood what needed to be done.

Grabbing his hand tight in mine, I looked back at the Attributions. "If you agree to our new treaty, we will ensure all if right for everyone, both human and Attribution alike."

The Attribution lifted his golden gaze. "And what is that?" he asked.

Damien linked his fingers through mine and squeezed. "Peace," he answered the Attribution's question, "and a lifetime of care for you and the others, even after we are gone."

[thank you for reading]