CHAPTER 16

EIGHT MONTHS AGO:

A jailer unlocked the prison in which KARAM was imprisoned. KARAM signed a paper kept on the released prisoners ' section counter. He walked out of the barracks with a bag in his hand. He kept on walking on the lane until a taxi arrived at him. He sat inside at the back seat.

VIKRAM got himself ready to go to his garage. He had worn a blue T shirt and a black trouser. He was standing in front of dressing table which was kept in his small bed room. He combed his car, picked up his wallet and cellphone from his table. His door bell rang. The house was a single storey with one bedroom, one hall and a kitchen which was facing the lawn outside.

" Open the door RIYA! "

He walked out to the hall and saw his younger brother KARAM at the door. KARAM had a small bag in his hand. KARAM dropped his bag and came inside to hug his brother but VIKRAM stepped back in order to avoid the hug.

" You don't need to talk to me anymore. " VIKRAM said.

RIYA said, " VIKRAM, he is your brother. You are meeting each other after a long time. You should celebrate the reunion. "

" We don't need to have any celebration. You better go inside the kitchen. "

" Listen to me VIKRAM.... "

" RIYA! Please. Obey. " (Vikram told her furiously)

RIYA went to the kitchen.

KARAM, " Brother! "

" Stop calling me brother, you moron. We aren't brothers anymore. "

" I have fully changed myself. I am a good man now. "

" How would you justify the murder you had committed three years ago? "

" I have completed my imprisonment. I have got the punishment against my wrongdoing. "

" Once a murderer remains the murderer for lifetime. I don't care for how long you have been in jail, doesn't matter whether you have completed your term or not but for me you'll always remain a man who had killed an innocent for money. "

" And that's how you were able to own a garage. "

VIKRAM looked into his eyes. He went to his bedroom, opened the storage of the bed and pulled out a luggage bag. He came to KARAM and threw the bag in front of him.

" Five lakhs. I haven't drawn a penny from your hard earned money. "

KARAM opened the luggage bag which was filled with cash. He picked up both the bags.

" Sorry. I thought you wouldn't change my brother. " KARAM said.

" Don't call me brother again Mr. KARAM. And please don't ever turn your face to me as well as my family. "

KARAM left with both of his bags.

PRESENT DAY:

Inspector Shah crossed the road and arrived to his informant who was standing nearby a shopping mall.

" Where is the car? " Shah asked his informant.

" It's parked behind the mall. Looks like it's been there for more than a week. "

Inspector Shah and his informant went behind the mall where they found a black SUV which was in a little deteriorated condition. The windshield and left headlights were broken. The number plate was hanging with one end.

" The car looks similar to that of the footage. " The informant told him.

Shah bowed down on his knees to examine the number plate. Then he examined the interiors.

He made a phone call to his senior.

" I need a forensic team here. We have found the car which was driven by the killer of Dr. Nath. "

The SUV was brought into an impoundment where a forensic team collected fingerprints from the steering wheel and door handle of the car.

Inspector Shah kept the samples of the fingerprints under the scanner and went through the computer profiles of past imprisonments. The computer displayed a match with a picture of KARAM on the screen.

" Why did you spare him? " SHREYA asked Inspector Bhatnaagar.

They were in her forest department office. He was sitting in front of her. They were having tea together.

" I had no strong evidence against him. We can't arrest someone on the grounds of just a text message. "

" Then you must plant the evidence against him. That's why I have paid you and your team. "

" He doesn't looks like a civillian. He seems to have a past military life. It's hard to get our hands on him. "

" Whatever you are saying Inspector would you think Mr. Rai will spare you? "

" Mr. Rai? "

" Yes. He is coming next week for his cousin's last rites. He is bringing his own investigator for the same. "

Mr. Rai put the cup on table to leave. He stood up from his seat.

She said while looking into his eyes, " Inspector Bhatnaagar, just get him imprisoned for lifetime. I want the man behind the bars. "

He turned to the exit door. Before leaving he turned to her and came near to her.

" I don't know but.... I can assume that you have a past with him. Something that infuriates you. You would have killed him earlier."

" I could have killed him earlier. Death isn't a punishment. I just want to make him count the pain I have faced because of my loss. "

Jatin was driving his SUV while Anup was sitting besides him at the passenger seat.

" The report says he had been consuming a highly toxic drug for a few days. "

" What for? "

" He used to have frequent panic attacks. "

" Then why did he write the message if he didn't kill himself intentionally. "

" May be it's a coincidence. "

" Why they are not examining his intakes instead of getting access to me? "

" Inspector Bhatnaagar and his team have been accused of bribery and corruption earlier. There could be another offer for them. "

" Money plays with everyone. "

Jatin's phone vibrated once. He accessed his phone which was mounted on a mobile holder. He accessed his mail.

" The mail is from Shah sir. "

He opened the file and found a picture of KARAM. Anup recognised him as he had seen him chasing Dr. Neelam and Sonia after departing from the railway station. Even he had seen him at the memorial hall.

" I had seen him at the memorial hall. "

After listening to him, Jatin stopped the car at roadside and immediately called Inspector Shah.

" Sir. Mr. Dhawan had seen the man. " Jatin told him.

Shah replied, " I have sent you the location of his residence. You better go and search his apartment. "