Chapter 9

"Liv... where are you!" He called out as he ran into her apartment. He was surprised the door was unlocked since she never seemed to leave the room without bolting the door, but he was grateful she'd forgotten this time. "Liv..."

And then he saw her, walking slowly down the hall from the bathroom, tears streaming down her cheers and he ran to her and pulled her close.

"It's okay." He whispered. "It's gonna be okay."

"I have to go to the hospital." She cried. "That's what is says on my discharge papers from this morning... to go to the hospital if there's any bleeding."

"Let's go then." Elliot said.

He took her arm and guided her carefully to the door. Seeing her in so much pain was heartbreaking, and he hated himself for it. He had caused this. How could he have treated her that way? And now she was going to lose the baby because of him... because of his selfish pride... because of his need to always be right and have things his way. She deserved better than him. She always had. He wished he had never come back.

"Are you doing alright?" He asked as he drove to the hospital and she gives a weak nod, but didn't answer. She was staring out the window, trying to hold in her tears. "Liv... I'm so sorry..."

"Don't." She answered quickly. "Please don't talk to me right now.

So they sat in silence the rest of the way to the hospital. When they arrived, he helped her down and tried to take her hand, but she pulled it away as they walked inside. The nurse at the front desk took the information, and asked them to sit and wait.

"She needs to be seen now." Elliot argued. "We're not going to sit and wait."

"Sir, we have trauma patients ahead of her." The nurse tried to explain. "First trimester bleeding isn't considered urgent."

"Not urgent?" He yelled. "She's going to lose this baby..."

"El, come on..." Olivia said.

She pulled him toward the chairs in the waiting room. She sat down slowly, her hand resting on her stomach, and he sat next to her.

"I can't believe they are making you wait out here." He looked around the room, filled with people of all ages with a variety of ailments.

"Well who should I go in front of... the old lady with chest pains or the little boy with anaphylaxis? God El... think about other people once in a while." She sighed.

"I am... I'm thinking about you." He insisted. "I'm thinking about the baby."

"If I'm going to lose this baby, there's nothing they can do to stop it." She looked at him tearfully. "It doesn't matter how fast they see me."

Finally the nurse came out and took them to an examination room.

"Your blood pressure is a little high." She said, taking the cuff from Olivia's arm. "Maybe just the stress of everything."

She gives a warm smile, trying to put her patient at ease. She grabbed a gown and handed it to her.

"Put this on, and the doctor will be in to see you soon." She said.

Olivia was sitting in bed, and Elliot paced back and forth across the room.

"Where is that doctor?" He asked anxiously. "You've been waiting forever."

"Elliot... just sit down." She was tired and he was making her nervous. "I think the bleeding's stopped."

"Well that's good, right?" He sat in the chair next to her bed. "How are you feeling?"