Ch 24: Taken

Y/n POV

We left my old home and this time Sokka took the lead. He took an old map from my house and led us down the streets to the address contained in the diary. After a few minutes, we were there. We went around to the back of the house, and I noticed my dad sitting in the living room, staring into seemingly nothing. I took a step forward but hesitated. 

"We're right behind you," Sokka said, placing a reassuring hand on the small of my back. I nodded and walked towards the sliding door. I slid it open quietly, but my dad still noticed. He stood up quickly and held up a flaming fist at me. 

"Who are you?" He yelled menacingly. I pulled down my mask and held my hands up. 

"Dad, it's me, Y/n," I said timidly, and I kicked myself for being so nervous. His flaming hand dropped and he covered his mouth in shock. 

"Y/n? My Y/n? Could it truly be?" He asked, walking towards me with arms outstretched like I was a mirage. To prove I was real, I ran to him and hugged him, enjoying the feeling of his hands holding me tight. 

"Yeah, dad, it's really me. You don't know how happy I am to see you," I said and then the tears spilled over. We sunk to our knees but my father didn't let go of me. 

"Oh, my sweet daughter. I'm so sorry. For you to have come here like this, it must've been a long journey," he said and I chuckled a bit. 

"Not that long actually. I had people to spend the journey with," I said and I threw a smile over my shoulder at Sokka and Zuko. "Dad, you know Prince Zuko, and this is my boyfriend Sokka," I introduced. Sokka outstretched a hand. 

"Uh-h, nice to meet you sir, I mean, General sir," Sokka stumbled but my dad smiled at him. 

"Relax Sokka, if my daughter chose you, you're ok in my book. A boyfriend? My little girl has grown so much. What did your mother say?" My dad asked me. My smile dropped and I took a deep breath. 

"She was killed three years ago by mercenaries," I told him. My dad's shocked face returned and tears filled his eyes. 

"Shei..." He sniffled for a few moments before taking a deep breath. "Y/n, I'm sorry you had to go through that alone. I sent you away to protect you and your mother, but it seems I failed." 

"But what were you really protecting us from? I read your diary, I know it was blackmail, but what could they really know?" I asked and my father looked me dead in the eye. 

"They knew everything, and in detail too. They knew that your mother left the Northern Water Tribe because she hated the misogynistic systems and customs. That when she was captured in the northern sea and brought before me, I loved her instantly. That I bribed a guard to destroy her records and break her out of prison so I could marry her, forging for her a new Fire Nation identity. And soon they started to attack her," he told me. 

"What do you mean?" I asked, curious for more. 

"They would leave her threatening messages in intimate places, they would stalk her. She would tell me of needles being left in places that could easily and secretly prick her, like in her shoes, or at her desk. It tore me up inside that I couldn't find the cause of her suffering, which is why sending you two away seemed the best idea," he said. I sighed, taking everything in. 

"Ok but why didn't you try to find me again after hearing nothing for months, years?" I asked. He sighed looking down. He noticed the dagger on my hip and gestured for it. I gave it to him. 

"I did. The blackmailer covered their tracks well, painting your mother to be a criminal who stole you away from me. At first I sent letters to the house I sent you to in the Fire Nation colonies. But one of them was intercepted by the blackmailer and I didn't know who to trust to get a message out. I knew Master Piandao was a neutral Fire Nation citizen, which is why I left this dagger with him, hoping maybe you and your mother would come across him. By the way, how did you come across him?" He asked and I gestured to Sokka.