[9]"Ok. What time should I be ready?"

"You. Me. Dinner. Movie. Tomorrow. What do you say?"
Ebony looked at Jamal in disbelief. She wanted to jump right in and say yes, but refrained herself. "I've had better dates."
He dramatically sighed. "God damn girl! I never do this. You would be the first girl I take on a real date. Come on. Just give me a chance."
Ebony smiled. "Ok. What time should I be ready?"
"7. I'm gonna have you up all night." He said wiggling his eyebrows.
"Ew." She giggled. "That is not happening."
"If you say so."
:
If anyone was more pleased to hear the bell ring Friday afternoon, it was Akia. School had her beat. She was gladly looking forward to the weekend.
She put in her locker combination and lifted up the lock and pulled the door open. And when she did, a bunch of heart balloons flew out. Akia's mouth dropped wide open.
"I hope you like these." She whipped around to see who was talking. The person was waving a bouquet of lilies. "I picked em just for you."
"Did you do this?!"
"Yes. I did it all for you."
He handed her the flowers. "Akia, will you be my Valentine?"
"Yes Walter. I would love to!"
She jumped into his arms and gave him a hug.
Rodney saw this in the distance. He shook his head and turned to leave out the school doors. As he was leaving he threw away the daisies he had got for Akia.
:
Darnell waited in his car until he saw Essence get to her car. She abruptly stopped and read the words he written across her back window in white window paint.
"Be my Valentine?"
He got out of his car and came up behind her. "So what do you say?"
She jumped and turned to see Darnell standing there with a smirk on his face.
"Oh so you wrote my mystery message?" She said folding her arms across her chest and shifting her weight on her hip.
"Yes. Now I'm waiting on yo mystery answer."
She laughed. "Of course, I'll be your Valentine."
Darnell picked her up and spun her around. He planted a quick kiss on her lips that lit her body up in flames.
She was flushed and you could see it in her face. "There is so much more where that came from."
"I hope." She said breathless.
He smiled. "See you tomorrow then?"
"Yes. Most definitely."
***
"Mom, Dad, I'm home!" Essence hollered. She jogged upstairs to her room and sat her bag down on the floor near her desk and plopped down in her chair.
Her mind was on her date with Darnell. She wondered what would they be doing, what should she wear, and how does he like her hair. She was so confused but yet excited. This would be her first date.
"Essence!"
Hearing her name snatched her from her thoughts. "Yes?"
"Get down here!"
She jogged down the steps to see her parents waiting at the bottom. Her mom looked excited, but her dad looked slightly pissed.
"Who put that shit on your window?"
"Joseph!" Her mother hit him on the arm. "What he meant to say was who asked you to be their valentine?!"
Oh shit. Essence didn't think to wash the paint off. She was floating on cloud 9, but now it's raining down on her parade. She had to make up a quick lie, and fast.
"Layla came to the school and did that for me. She figured we should spend Valentines day together! As two lone wolfs!" She lied.
She could see her father relax. "Oh."
Her mother pouted. Laura was really ready for her daughter to date. She sighed and went to the kitchen to start dinner. Joe nodded his head feeling more comfortable about the situation and went to his office. Essence finally breathed out the lump in her throat she was holding in.
She hated lying, but would do anything to go on this date with Darnell.