[13] "I thought I was the only lady in your life."

Jamal stepped of the elevator of his mom's office building. He strutted right up to the front desk where a lil cutie was sitting.
"Rebecca my Becca."
Rebecca rolled her eyes at him. "What do you want Jamal?"
"White boy treatin you right?"
"His name is Matthew and yes Jamal. He is treating me wonderfully."
"Not better than I could." Jamal said licking his lips.
"Oh my gosh." Rebecca picked up her office phone and dialed 1. "Mrs. King can you please come get your son."
Nicole peaked her head out the door. "Boy you harassing Rebecca again?"
"Yes!" Rebecca answered and then stuck her tongue out at him.
"Now moma, why would I ever do such a thing?" Jamal said sounding hurt.
Both of the ladies rolled their eyes. "Get in here before my next appointment comes in."
Jamal went into his mother's office and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Hello mother."
"What do you want Jamal?"
"I can't come see the number 1 lady in my life?"
"I thought I was the only lady in your life."
"No. I got a girl-"
"A what?!"
"I'm talking to someone."
"Who?! What does she look like?! Why am I just now hearing about this?!"
"Moma calm down."
"I can't! My son finally has a girlfriend!!"
"Ew. Ma, chill. You know I don't like the 'G' word."
"So if she isn't your girlfriend then what is she?"
"Just a girl I'm really into."
"You're so full of shit."
"Ma!"
"You are! You one of them mutha fuckas that don't like to put labels on shit."
"Are you angry got damn?!"
"Don't cuss at me!"
"You cussin at me!"
"I'm grown!"
Jamal sunk deeper in his seat and let out a sigh of frustration. He knew he wasn't gonna win this.
"Well I wanna meet her."
"Ok I'll bring her over."
"Noo. Let's have a dinner. The whole family can come!"
"Whatever you wanna do. Just let me know when."
"Tonight."
"That's hell of a short notice."
"Jamal Anthony King! Cuss again!"
"Ok. Ok. Tonight. I'll see if she's busy."
Jamal hopped up out his seat and walked over to his mother. "But in the meantime, I'm gonna get ready." He kissed her on the cheek and left.
He walked back to front desk and mushed Rebecca before running for the elevator before she could reach him.
"Imma get you Jamal!"
He blew her a kiss as the elevator doors closed.
He got outside to his car and pulled up his messages. He clicked on the name 'Bae'.
Me: My folks wanna meet you. We're having dinner at my place tonight. You down?
Bae: Yes. I'll be ready by 6.
He then went to Darnell's contact.
Me: Aye fool, dinner tonight at my house. Mom's wanna meet Ebony and shit. You down?
Darnell: Yea bruh. Soon as I get through bagging this weed. I'll be through.
Me: Iight bet.
He plugged his phone up to the charger and AUX cord. He decided to listen to Kevin Gates- I don't get tired.
He put his car in drive and drove out the parking deck.
***
Back in the office, Nicole was calling around to make sure those closest to them would be there tonight. She decided to call Naomi and Camay on 3-way.
"Hellooo!" Camay sang.
"Hi ladies!" Naomi came in.
"Hey loves! I'm having dinner at my house tonight. Apparently Jamal has met some girl so I told him to invite her over. So you and yours are welcomed to attend."
"Oh I will most definitely be there." Camay said. "Besides, Akia and Rodney have been spending a significant amount of time together."
"You are so right." Naomi said. "It's time to expose what's really going on with our kids."
"Right. Right. But ok girls! I'll see yal tonight at 7."
"Bye!"
"See ya later!"
Nicole got off the phone with him and then called her other son Darnell. Nicole knew Darnell was living on his own and she had a pretty good idea of how he was making his money. She wasn't gonna say anything though. She offered for him to live with her but the boy so damn stubborn and independent. She loved him though and he was just as much as her child as Jamal and Jessica.
"Hey moma."
"Hey my baby, what are you doin?"
"Nothing. Cleaning around the house."
"Ok well have all that wrapped up by 6. Dinner at the house at 7."
"Yea, Jamal was tellin me about it. He's bringing Ebony."
"Are you bringing anyone special?"
"Um, I can."
"Well bring her! I don't know why yal boys keeping secrets from me!"
"I'm sorry moma. I just haven't thought to bring her around."
"Mhm. Well I wanna see her there tonight ok?"
"Yes ma'am."
"Ok bookie. See you tonight."
"Iight."
Nicole hung up and then called her daughter.
"Ma'am?"
"We're having company tonight so when Jamal gets in yal make sure the house straight."
"Ok."
"Jessica.."
"Yea?"
"Is there anything you wanna tell?"
"Like what?"
"Like if you have a boyfriend or something."
"Uh, well yea, kinda.."
"I hear a 'but' in there somewhere."
"But Jamal hates him and punched him in the face."
Nicole shook her head. She trusted her son's judgement but wanted to meet this boy herself. "Well tell him he is more than welcomed to come over for dinner tonight."
"Really?!"
"Yes."
"Well what about Jamal?"
"Don't worry about that. I got him."
"Ok. Thanks moma!"
"You're welcome. I'll see you when I get off."
She ended the call and laid her head on her desk.
Tonight will be very interesting.