[19] "Prom?"

"Akia would you be a doll and enter in the kids demographic information into the computer for me? They're right there in the folder." Mrs. Wilcox asked.
"Sure Mrs. Wilcox."
"I've already done R-Z, just finish them off for me."
"Now why did you start backwards?" Akia chuckled.
"Honey, I'm getting old. Nothing in my head is in order."
Akia laughed and grabbed the folders Mrs. Wilcox had left to do. Mrs. Wilcox was a old woman who had been with the school since it's opening. This was her last year, so Akia tried to help out as much as she could so this year would run smoothly for her.
She started on the A's. Most of the names were people she already knew and for the most part knew all of their information from previous times when she had to put their name in before.
She was half way done with the B's when she got to Essence's file. She looked at her address and slightly tilted her head.
"The Grand Court." She said out loud.
"What's that sweetheart?"
"Oh uh nothing Mrs. Wilcox."
Akia turned her attention back to the file. She looked for her parents name. Laura and Joseph Bryant.
Hmm. That name sounds familiar.
She minimized the window she was in and went to google.
She typed in Joseph Bryant. In a matter of seconds, a whole bio of this man popped up. Akia went to images and found a family photo of him, the woman she assumed was Laura, and little miss Essence.
Akia jumped out her seat. "I knew it!"
Everyone in the office looked at her strangely. "Um sweet pea," Mrs. Wilcox started. "You alright?"
"Oh uh. Yes ma'am. I just have to uh go to the bathroom."
Akia quickly escaped the embarrassing scene.
That little liar. She thought. She's gonna break Darnell's heart.
Akia needed fresh air. She was rounding the corner when she bumped into Rodney.
He was holding a cookie cake box and had some balloons.
"Hey babe. Who's having a party?"
He smirked and opened the box. It was a chocolate cookie cake outlined with white butter cream icing and in middle the spelled out in MnMs were Prom?
She gasped. "Oh my gosh! Yes!"
He brought her into a hug and kissed her forehead. "I thought you would like it."
"I love it."
"Good, but Aye, where were you headed?"
"Just outside. I needed some air."
"Well come on." He said sticking his arm out.
She hooked arms with him and let him escort her out to the parking lot. There was a large gathering out there. They closer they got the better she could see. It was just Darnell doing his promposal for Essence.
He had put blue sticky notes all over her back window but in the middle in pink sticky notes it read Prom?
Akia rolled her eyes. She kissed her teeth and kept walking.
"You ok?" Rod asked.
"Yea. I'm straight."
***
Once the parking lot cleared of people wanting to put the scene on snapchat and instagram, Akia excused herself from Rodney and walked up the Essence.
She put on a smile. "Oh my gosh! Rodney just asked me too! Come here, we like have to talk about going dress shopping!"
"Ok."
Akia pulled Essence away from the remaining people and out of sight and earshot. She dropped Essence hand and folded her arms across her chest.
"I know your secret."
"What?"
"I know you've been lying to us."
"Akia, I don't know what you're talking about."
"Joseph Bryant. Laura Bryant. Formally known as Laura Styles. Ring a bell?"
"What about them?"
"They're your parents! And you're going around with this sob story that you're from the hood when you're the riches of them all." Akia said. "And it wasn't hard figuring it out. I knew something was odd when we slept over the house that night."
Essence started to panic. Her palms were sweaty and she was shaken in fear. She didn't think anyone would find out. "I didn't mean any harm."
"You didn't mean any harm?! When I tell Darnell abo-"
"No!" Essence shouted. "Please don't tell Darnell. I-i was gonna tell him. I was!"
"And what stopped you?"
"I don't know. I'm just in too deep." Essence said putting her head down.
"You really are." Akia sighed. "Look, you got til prom to tell Darnell or I will."
Akia walked away from Essence leaving her to wallow in her thoughts.
:.
Jamal and Ebony decided to skip fifth block today so they headed to Jamal's house. They were chillen in the living room when the door bell rang.
"Who's that?" Ebony asked nervously.
It was her first time skipping and she was so afraid they were going to get caught.
Jamal laughed. "Baby relax. It's just the pizza guy."
"When did you oder pizza?"
"Stop asking questions." He said kissing her on the forehead.
She took a deep breath and waited for him to come back with the pizza.
He sat down next to her in the recliner and sat the pizza on both of their laps.
"I know yo fat ass ain't just trap us in the chair with this pizza."
"You the one with all the hips. Just open the box."
She rolled her eyes at him and opened the box. It was pepperoni pizza with stuffed crust.
Mmm. My favorite. She thought.
She caught a glimpse of writing at the top and opened the box further.
"I know this is cheesy but, will you go to prom with me?"
"Aww!" She exclaimed. Jamal gave himself a pat on the back. "Quick, we have to catch the pizza guy so he'll know I said yes!" She said jumping up.
"The fuck?"
Ebony laughed and straddled Jamal's lap. "I'm kidding, but yes I'll go to prom with you."
She pecked his lips and got off his lap. "Now time for pizza! Yaaassssss!"
Jamal chuckled and shook his head. "Fat ass."