No Escape From Reality

Author's Note: for narrative purposes, one of the events taking place in this chapter has been switched to a different date in which it actually took place within Queen's band history...

Somewhere along Regent Street, Westminster, Friday 5th September, 1986

       Dear Miss Brannigan,

According to the skills and qualities outlined in your application and personal statement, combined with your extensive work experience, the faculty of arts and humanities finds you to be an exceptional candidate whose pre-existing industrial knowledge in media and moving image production would benefit further from a bachelor's degree in film and media production studies...

Despite attending six applicant interviews and making three project submissions, it was that very extract in the Royal Polytechnic Institution's unconditional acceptance letter addressed to Monica that eventually convinced her to attend their faculty and study film and media production.

Several months after it had arrived at Garden Lodge and it was now Fresher's Week at the Polytechnic. And Monica was on her way to officially start her first day at her chosen University with her best friend Paula McIntyre in tow for support, rushing down Regent Street with a handful of resumes, campus maps and information leaflets in her fists.

"You know, you really didn't have to walk me here" She glanced at her wristwatch as she increased her pace, "I already went there for registration yesterday."

"It's alright, Mo," Paula assured her, keeping up by her friend's side and helping her put some of the papers into Monica's pea-green winter coat pocket, "I wanted to see where the building is"

"Who's minding Max then?" Monica asked, digging through her other pocket for the campus map.

"I have a retired neighbour upstairs who I ask to refill his bowl now and again, he'll be fine" her friend answered.

It wasn't long until they both reached the campus, which was almost hidden in plain sight. Hadn't it been for the University's name above the entrance then it would've looked like many of London city's buildings, with its grand yet inconspicuous exterior architecture.

"Well, here we are!" Paula cheered when they stopped at the doors, "After ten years, Monica is finally a student! How does it feel?"

Monica's face fell the moment Paula had asked that. She probably should've felt nervous, perhaps even proud of herself, excited and optimistic to be starting a new chapter in her life.

But today also happened to be Freddie's birthday, and all that she felt was guilt and selfishness on account of missing it.

"What's wrong?" Paula noticed that her friend went still and was staring into space.

Monica was thinking back to the visible hurt on his face when she told him only a few days ago that she wouldn't be able to attend, and after all that they had been through in 1986 she felt as though she was throwing another spanner in the works.

"Oh Paula, this induction day couldn't have come at a worse time," she muttered remorsefully, "Freddie is turning forty today, he probably feels bad about getting old."

"Catch yourself on, Mo!" Paula scoffed, "Surely he's missed you and the twins' birthdays for being on tour all the time and doing what's important to him"

"You're not wrong, there were a few anomalies" she said under her breath, unfolding her campus map.

Paula continued, "Besides, he'll be alright after a few cocktails and champers no doubt."