Flashback Filler: Retreat (Chapter 10)-what you didn't see

The morning after the night before, Cornwall

The Deacons sat across from Freddie and Monica on the kitchen table silently as their son fidgeted on Veronica's lap. The couple took a while to get to sleep, knowing that there'd be an embarrassing tension between them and John and Veronica the next time the ran into eachother.

"We're sorry about yesterday. We thought that you were both in bed and didn't know that you would be down." John finally said.

"No, we should known. After all, we're sharing a house with seven people." Freddie stared at his hands.

Monica couldn't say anything; she felt so ashamed despite how relaxed the Deacons were being. She would've liked to have thought of herself as more modest and respectable. And unfortunately John, the band member that she took to most after Freddie, had seen everything.

That was until what he said put her at ease.

"We are adults. We all have our moments."

Freddie started, "You were probably never caught doing hanky panky-"

"Yes we were. There was that time in the cloak room at that house party, remember?" Veronica nudged her husband's arm and giggled.

"Oh yes, we just have to grin and bare it. It just makes us feel less embarrassed." John nodded.

The saucepan on the stove bubbling lightly was the only sound heard, and soon enough the egg timer went off.

"That will be breakfast. Roger, breakfast!!" Brian, who offered to cook, rushed in.

"Oh, thank god." Freddie lifted his head away in relief.

"Oh look! A table full of love birds... and one pair has had a baby chick!" Roger appeared shortly after with a grin, ruffling little Robert's hair as he walked by.

Monica blushed, and Robert giggled. Brian turned from his spot at the stove, "How is the head, Roger?"

"It's not too bad, just need to take another tablet." He answered, getting a glass from the cupboard.

"So what were the antics last night, Bri?" Freddie

"He had a little sing song on the car journey home, nothing too drastic. No vomit or anything." The guitarist set a hot saucepan onto the table mat in the centre.

"What's that? Boiled guano and cat litter?" Roger wrinkled his nose at the sight of their breakfast.

"It's porridge!" Brian irritably set a jar of honey on the table. "If you find it too bland just stir a bit of this in."

"Eughhh! I haven't had porridge since school..." Roger pulled a seat out as he shuddered.

"Hey, my mum fed me this stuff all the time. I turned out alright, didn't I?" Brian argued.

"That's only because you're half-Scottish. There are exceptions." The drummer crossed his arms.

"I'm... I'll just go and slice up some bread for whoever wants it." Freddie awkwardly got up from his chair and went to the side counter.

Monica bashfully turned back to the cook, "Thank you for cooking such a healthy breakfast, Brian. I'll have some."

"We will have some too. Although, we are more used to cooking it in a microwave I'm sure it'll taste no different." The Deacons handed their bowls over as well.

"Thanks, guys," Brian smiled and poured a dollop into each bowl. "See, Roger? At least these people are willing to have a healthy digestive system."