Daddy's home

1980, Stafford Terrace

"Oh, wait until daddy and Feebs sees how big you two have gotten... wait until he sees you both walking!" Monica tickled their bellies as she sat on the carpet, and they squealed as they rolled on the lounge floor laughing.

She smiled and stood back up, helping them onto their knees so that they wouldn't tumble over. She fixed the clasp of Johnny's teal dungarees and tightened the pink bow that tied Roshni's wisps of hair back from her face.

"Now, off you go and play." She pushed them towards their toys scattered on the corner of the carpet.

Then she made her way back into the kitchen and made sure to shut the childproof gate after her, laying the table for the two men who were on their way home from a month's work in Munich, and turned the oven onto a low temperature to gently heat up the casserole she left over for their dinner.

Meanwhile, somewhere along the motorway running through the busy city of London, Phoebe was driving Freddie back home from Heathrow in the new Mercedes he'd bought shortly after their first birthday; he felt that know he was internationally famous he needed something sophisticated yet less conspicuous than the Rolls, which he and Monica decided was best for entrances to events.

He flicked the finished cigarette butt out the window before winding it back up, then anxiously looked up into the overhead mirror and stoked his new moustache, "Do you think she will like it?"

"Well, if I may say so you look very handsome with it." Phoebe winked.

He smiled a little, "Do you think the public will be angered by the gay connotations?"

"If they refuse see your brilliant music past your moustache, then that's their loss." He replied, driving around a block corner.

"Well, screw them. I look perfect with it." He spat.

Phoebe chuckled, "Everyone's going to think you copied it from me now."

Freddie scoffed, "You really believe that I see you as that much of a trend setter?"

"I'm Freddie Mercury's PA, everyone wants to be me." He bragged sarcastically.

He laughed, then looked out the window as a council sign for the borough of South Kensington flashed past under the street lights, "We're home... Oh Phoebe I'm so excited to see if my little ones have grown the past few weeks."

Phoebe remained tight lipped, for Monica had told him privately over the phone that they were now toddling around the place and Freddie was in for a surprise.

"She isn't the only one" Phoebe thought, and soon he was passing the streets they recognised.

***

Phoebe unlocked the front door, carrying their baggage into the hallway.

Monica felt the skin stand up on the back of her neck when she heard the front door open, but she continued slicing the loaf of bread and putting it into the basket.

"Daddy's home, you two!" She called out, and they scrambled up onto the sofa, hiding under the blanket that happened to be sitting there.

Freddie walked in through the door and smiled when he saw the girl he loved standing with her back to him, working on something on the kitchen counter. He heard giggling coming from the lounge.

"Daddy's back!" He boomed, rushing in, then he saw two lumps underneath the blanket.

Monica heard his footsteps in he other room and giggled, listening as he quietly snuck up to the sofa. He lightly tickled the bottom of a foot of theirs that happened to be peeping out, and one of them let out an infectious squeal.