Vol. 2 : Chapter 1 - Revelation

——To those who seek new horizons——

December 16th

It is a relaxed Saturday, the air is thick and uncomfortable as Moe exits the building. He's just gotten out of the most tiring rehearsal with his high school jazz ensemble.

Staring at the concrete sidewalk as it passes him by, he walks, with a lethal yet unshakeable calm about him...

He's thinking... thinking about his life, his regrets...

Between the struggle with his grades, and his family's constant fighting and the dreadful passing of numerous family members, high school has been an all time low for Moe, mentally at least.

It's hard for him to express though, the very last thing he'd want is for his parents to be put in a position like that, if they knew that their son had gotten so close to the edge... Moe wouldn't be able to live with himself.

Looking back at that now though, he considers it all a bit silly, although you could say he was caught up in a lot. After how hardly he pushed himself the previous year, that being the end result showed him that in the end what comes first is health, not performance. But by god does he wish that he was like other kids, those with time and patience to spare, a clean playing field to go on...

Not Moe. Never Moe.

The only "good" he'd have to look forward to this evening was his father, he'd make these little trips with him every once in awhile, just to get away from his usual home-life, with his mother.

His parents were divorced albeit, he lived up in the suburbs with mom, and dad still lived down in the city. This was a power struggle, one that he had to witness—his parents would always act like they got along fine but in all reality, the tight little string that was barely holding those two together was him.

And he knew that too, he knew that he fell under the terrible weight of having to uphold a whole entire family, after-all, they had no one else at the time. The only family that he knew was his parents, his brother was long gone, and any other type of family member that you could even bother thinking of—he didn't have it.

At the time he didn't know why—why this was the only family he knew—Every time he'd ask he'd just get the same answer from his parents.

"They're far from here."

"It's complicated"

"Soon we'll see them"

But he never understood, he couldn't have understood how those who are supposed to be—albeit traditionally—close to you, can be, or have to be cut off. For the greater good.

A young Moe couldn't have understood what sacrifice truly was, what it meant, and what it actually costed...

So Moe just kept walking through that cold December air, blind and scared, like a lost boy in the relentless arctic winds, shocked of a wolf's breath and left nothing to spare, not even for that of a heartache.

He walked like that, onward, forging through that snow and ice until finally it cleared, and he looked up, and he heard it—His father's car pulled up to the curb, whirring lowly in the humid evening air, then he heard him, a voice of pure salve.