Chapter 6 - Home... Sweet Home

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flashback - 12 years ago - Christmas Day

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Okay Sera... Open your eyes!"

When she opened her eyes however, they only proceeded to grow wider and fill with nothing but more excitement and love and joy and wonder.

"A guitar?!"

"Why of course sweetie! You've always wanted one, no?"

"Of course I have mama! Thank you so much!" she said, giving her mother a warm hug, which she returned fondly.

Sitting on the couch, her mother looked over to her son who was lying on an adjacent couch.

"Rene, my son, you can open yours now"

The young Ren proceeded to excitedly tear through the first layers of wrapping paper before revealing a cardboard box. When he got through the clear tape, the guitar shaped case was revealed, as well as a beautiful glossy red Ibanez inside.

"Mom, no way!" Ren exclaimed before running and jumping into her arms. Sera joined in before her mother pulled away and held them close as she said, "I want you two to give your hearts to these beautiful instruments, just as you promised me."

The two children simply nodded with hope and wonder in their eyes, as they turned back to their guitars in awe.

"Phew... Is it hot in here or is it just me"

The kids giggled, "I think it's just you, mom" Ren said, still laughing.

She simply smiled and closed her eyes while the two continued to fiddle with the strings for hours, playing pitchy tones and fake scales, finding their way and wrapping their young minds around the instruments. That is before a thought came about in Ren's mind.

"Hey, Sera?"

"Yeah?"

"While Mom's asleep, I'm gonna go call my friend on the telephone, ok?"

"Okay..."

Ren got up and walked out of the living room and into the dining room, where a home phone was stationed. He shakily dialed the numbers on a small sheet of paper he had in his pocket.

The phone rang,

One ring

Two Rings

Three Rings

"Hello?" an older man's voice answered.

Ren nervously replied, "Umm... Hello? I'm Moe's friend I need to talk with him he's my umm... Homework buddy?"

The man held for an eternity before speaking, "...Sure thing kid"

After some audible jostling that slightly pained Ren's ear, a new and more familiar voice came about through the telephone.

"Hello?"