Chapter 8 - What you leave behind

________________________________________________________________________________

White Plains, NY - Outside Sera's Apartment

Late August - Night before the move to LA

10 P.M.

Ren

________________________________________________________________________________

As I finished loading Sera's last bag into the truck I looked over at her, she had a clear look of anxiety on her face as she looked down at the ground with her arms crossed.

"Hey, don't worry, I'm here with you remember?" I comforted her

"I know... I've just never gone this far away, you know?"

"Yeah, you'll get used to it though I promise. Everything is gonna turn out great I know it."

"How can you be so sure?"

"I've invested too much money into this move to not be positive... plus I've just got this feeling, that things are only looking up from here."

Sera gave me a pained smile, at least she was trying to cope... and I'm honestly still surprised that she took such a strong initiative in all this to begin with.

I walked over to the driver's side of the truck, "You're good to go, thanks again" I said to the mover.

"Yeah no problem man" he said as he put the truck in drive and started off down the busy streets of the city.

"Come on," I said to Sera as I unlocked my car and got in. She followed in right after me and we drove off.

________________________________________________________________________________

Timeskip - 30 minutes - Ren's House

________________________________________________________________________________

"It was only like two weeks ago when we had that talk in here," Sera said as we walked into my garage which was now completely bare, "feels like months..."

"Why is that?" I asked

"Anxiety I guess... just really been wanting to get this part over with, you know?"

"Yeah, I get it... this house is completely empty now it's kinda scary"

"Yeah... I can't imagine how hard it must've been for you to tear this garage apart."

"Very," I chuckled, "so many memories, such little time left to cherish them."

I looked around the room then, remembering all the wild times we've had as a band, all the parties I threw, all the heartbreaks, the makeups, the jams, the arguments... all that history, and now it's time to say goodbye.

We walked into the room which was once the living room, at the center there was a large airbed blown up.

"For the night" I explained, gesturing to the bed.

"Very posh, five star hotel material, truly" she said sarcastically.

"Hmph, find me better for a night like this, by all means. My mattresses and all the rest of my stuff are probably in Chicago or something by now. Same thing goes for the others."

"Really? When'd you guys send it all out?"

"This morning, that's about where 12 hours takes you I guess."

"That's gonna be us soon..." she started gazing at the ground, letting her thoughts swallow her up again. I grabbed her shoulder and shook her, she looked up startled.