Chapter 6 (Clover's P.O.V)

After soaking Tessa’s jacket in tears, she pulled me up.

“Come on,” she said softly, “We have to get back to class.”

I didn’t want to go back. I just wanted to go home.

“No.” I said, pulling away from her, “You go, I’ll see you tomorrow.” She looked at me worriedly for a split second, before she smiled and walked back to the school. I looked around. No one was watching.

I ran up to the wall scaling it expertly and landing not so expertly in a puddle on the other side. I groaned trying to get some of the muddy water off my jeans.

Useless.

I had just started walking down the street when I remembered my house was almost 20 blocks away. I slowed my pace down, walking leisurely.

Stupid, dark-haired, hot boy. This was all his fault.

I got home after about an hour of walking and nearly becoming roadkill, at least three times. I pushed my key into the door and went straight to the bathroom.

I came out minutes later pulling my hair into a messy bun. I stretched a black tank top over my head and pulled on a pair of joggers.

I picked my guitar up and struck the chords to counting stars. My voice followed soon after.

I see this life like a swinging vine,

Swing my heart across the line

In my face is flashing signs,

Seek it out and ye shall find.

Old but I'm not that old

Young but I'm not that bold

And I don't think the world is sold

I'm just doing what we're told

And I feel something so right by doing the wrong thing

And I feel something so wrong by doing the right thing

I could lie, couldn't I, couldn't I?

Everything that kills me makes me feel alive.

I was just about to get lost in the chorus, when I heard the door slam open.

“CLOVER CAMILLA MENDEZ!!”

Shit.

“WHY DID YOU SKIP CLASSES ON YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL??!” I heard my dad yell as he stormed furiously up the stairs, pushing my door open so forcefully I thought it would fly off its hinges. His face softened when he saw me.

I understood why when I felt the wetness on my cheeks.

“Clover honey, what happened?” he asked softly coming to sit beside me. God I cried too much these days. But hey, it was working. I decided not to tell him the full story, realizing how stupid it would sound.

“There were too many things that reminded me of her dad,” I said sniffing for effect. He looked at me sympathetically.

He wrapped his arms around me and kissed my forehead.

“You’re going to have to get over this soon honey,” he said sadly with a sigh, “Or you’ll fall into deep depression.” I nodded, hoping this would end soon.

He continued.

“I’ll be travelling on Friday.”

I looked at him.