Chapter 4

As the fog is starting to lift, I am starting to hear voices...

"Who is she? Does she know what she is? Ethan, do you know what this means?"

"Jesus, Christian I have no idea, but I do know that she is mine. Enough, she is starting to wake".

When I am fully awake, I suddenly realize that I am resting my head on someone's lap. Not just any someone, the same guy that I saw before I blacked out. He is older than me that is for sure. Not crazy older, maybe five years difference, so maybe 21-22 years old... But holy moly he is hot. He has dark hair, olive skin, muscles everywhere, and eyes that are an amazing shade of blue. The same shade of blue that is in the sky on a sunny but crisp winter's day.

I gently feel him lift my chin and brush my hair away from my face.

"Hey there. How are you feeling? Who gave you wolfs bane? It was a small dose, but clearly enough to knock you on your ass. I gave you a shot of adrenaline. It should have burned off the rest of the effects by now."

Something about how he smells, and his touch, it is intoxicating. Something stirs inside me. Something that makes me feel like I recognize him. But how is that possible? I have never been here before and I certainly have never seen him before.

There is another guy standing over us, he must be the one named Christian, he must have been the one who was asking all of the questions. He looks at Bree and asks her if I am mute. Bree is standing next to Christian, her eyes bugging out of her head and shaking her head back and forth.

Suddenly, the one holding me says,

"Relax, give her a minute, she probably hit her head too. If I wasn't so shocked, I would have been faster and gotten to her before she fell."

He was talking to Christian, but his eyes never left mine. He appears to be searching my eyes, kind of, as I am now, trying to figure out why I feel like I know him.

Realizing I probably look ridiculous for not responding, I quickly say, "Hi, my name is Shannon."

In his deep sexy voice, he responds back, "Hi Shannon, my name is Ethan, Ethan Woods. Do you feel well enough to sit up?"

As I start to get up, Ethan helps me to a sitting position. I am vividly aware of how close we are. His skin is touching mine and it feels like sparks going off, not painful... OK, maybe sparks is not the right description, but I do know that it feels amazing and I don't want it to stop.

"I think so. Did you see what happened? I'm so confused."

"It appears that someone gave you wolfs bane. Do you know who or why someone would give you wolfs bane?", asks Ethan.

"Actually I do know, I drank some tea which had some wolfs bane it in, but I'm definitely not doing that again".

I swear just now, I heard a deep growl come from Ethan. Bree finally finds her voice, and in a quiet, shaky voice, she tells Ethan and Christian that,

"Our art teacher dabbles in tealeaf readings, she says its a good ice breaker"

Ethan and Christian look at each other and then Ethan looks back at me and says,

"Well it was a very small dose; it appears that you're severely allergic to it. I would avoided contact and ingestion of wolfs bane if I were you. I've never seen you here before, are you new here?"

Bree just cannot help herself but that girl loves to talk.

"Yes, Shannon is new here. She recently moved here and just started at Bantam High. We're both seniors there."

Wow... I cannot believe Bree just told these two strangers all about our personal business, well mostly my personal business.

"Thanks Bree for that great introduction, but it's I think it's time we go".

"Well hang on a minute, you should probably eat something and have something to drink, my treat. Hey, Hank! Can you prepare something to eat and drink for these young ladies, put it on my tab".

"Sure thing beta"... cough, "I mean Ethan".

Beta? What is up with this town? It is so weird, and Bree... how is she totally cool hanging out with these strangers. In addition, apparently, she is ok with them buying us food and drinks. Listen to me, I sound like a complete bitch, I mean he did just save me from whatever the hell that was. I have never had an allergy to anything, so that must be all it was.

Bree perks up and says,

"I'll take some cheese sticks and a root beer please".

I am not fussy.

"I'll have whatever as long as there is no wolfs bane", ha ha.

Ethan doesn't laugh at my joke but says,

"Don't worry, you won't find any wolfs bane here".

Were all sitting at a table now, waiting for the food that Ethan ordered. Bree is rambling on about how we met, and her classes. I am sort of listening, but I am mostly trying to sneak glances at Ethan so I can figure out where I know him. But every time I look over, he is staring at me. Finally, I have had enough,

"Sorry to interrupt, but Ethan, why do you keep looking at me? It's making me feel self-conscious".

Ethan's cheeks flush and he tips his head down. OMG that was so cute... wait, I am trying to be serious. Then he responds,

"I'm sorry, but I feel a connection to you, do you not feel it?"

Of course, I feel it, but I am not going to tell this total stranger anything. I do not want him to get the wrong idea and think he can take advantage of me. So I just say,

"I think there is something familiar about you, but maybe you just look like someone I've met before."

Now Ethan looks like I hurt his feelings and says,

"Yeah, that must be it".

Thankfully, Hank comes to the table to bring us food and drinks.

"Here you go ladies, fresh and ready to eat".

I thought that the four of us would be eating, but Ethan and Christian both get up from the table and then Ethan says,

"Well it was nice meeting you, I'm glad you're feeling better Shannon. Christian and I have a meeting to attend. I hope to see you soon".

They leave us at the table, go over to the bar and speak with Hank. As they are leaving out the back door, I catch Ethan looking back at me. Bree is devouring those cheese sticks. While she grabs more dipping sauce, she says,

"Thank goodness Ethan knew what was going on and helped you, and that's pretty sweet of him to make sure we get something to eat before we go. Don't you think?"

Oh, my god, that makes so much more sense now, she must know him.

"I am lucky that Ethan knew what was wrong, I wonder how he figured out that it was wolfs bane... doesn't matter, how do you know them?"

"I don't know how he knew, but Ethan and some of the other guys he hangs out with, come to my brother's bike shop. I know, what you are thinking. How old is my brother? Well I was an accident. My mom hates it when I say it like that but it is true! She says I was a surprise, but my brother was 18 when I came along".

We finish our food and drinks. Before I even have to ask, Hank how much we owe him, he said do not worry about it. Ethan already took care of it. As we leave the bar, I kept looking back for Ethan because as much as I was trying to push him away; all I really wanted was to have him close to me.

Before we know it, I am back at my house. I say goodnight to Bree and head inside to work on some homework.