Chapter 5 ~ Ethan Woods

Christian and I were just killing time before the pack meeting by shooting some pool at the pack pool hall. It was my turn to play. As I was about to demolish Christian at pool, I felt her. My mate. At first, I think I'm imagining it. Most of my packmates found their mate around the time that they turned 18, but I'm 22. I just figured if it hasn't happened yet, it may not happen at all. Of course, I've had girlfriends and dated here and there, but none of the relationships were sustaining. But this feels different and as I resist the urge to look, my inner wolf actually causes me physical pain. The desire is so strong I have to look, I have to see if she is real. I look up from the pool table and down towards to front door, there she is... The most beautiful girl I've ever seen. She is tall, and lean, with long gorgeous red hair... but something is wrong. She is in pain; I can hear her heartbeat and I can smell wolfs bane.

As she begins to fall, I snap myself out of the trance she put me in and I jump over the loft's glass railing, then run to catch her. I slide across the floor on my knees just in time to catch her head and lay her down on my thigh. A million thoughts are running through my head. But I know she is slowly going into shock. I quickly yell at Hank to bring me an adrenaline kit. He tosses it at me and I catch it with ease. I quickly remove the drug from the protective container and inject the medicine into her thigh. Even though I can hear her heartbeat returning to a normal rhythm and getting stronger, I don't begin to relax until I hear her breathing become more regular. Her skin color is becoming pinker. I know Christian can sense her wolf. This worries me because we are at war right now with the neighboring pack and of course the local vampire king. What if she is from that pack? I know she is my destiny; I must protect her at all costs.

"Who is she? Does she know what she is? Ethan, do you know what this means?"

"Jesus, Christian I have no idea, but I do know that she is mine. Enough, she is starting to wake".

As I raise her chin and move the hair from her face, she starts to open her eyes. She is not what I expected. An emerald green-eyed Wolf... I have never heard of such a thing. She is stunning. I ask her if she is alright, but I am also very anxious to know who tried to poison her. My inner wolf wants blood as payment for the attempt on her life. I know she feels the wolf connection between us, but it seems like she has no idea what is going on. I feel her eyes searching mine for answers, meanwhile I have questions of my own. Who is she? What pack does she belong to? Why and who tried to poison her? Why is she fighting against our bond? How does she have green eyes?

Thankfully, she starts to speak and then I have more questions, why would she willing drink tea laced with wolfs bane? Doesn't she know that it can kill her?

Her friend that she is with, I recognize her, she is the little sister of Koen, I think her name is Bree, yeah that's it. Koen is the connection our pack uses to get our hogs, sport bikes, SUV's, basically any motorized transportation that the pack needs. Bree mentions that a teacher knowingly and willingly put wolfs bane in my mate's tea. Something doesn't sound right; I'll have to look into that.

Something is wrong, I don't think she knows what she is, I also think she is afraid of me. She wants to leave. I just can't let her go. I encourage her to have something to eat. I want to stay with her, but I know I have to go for a pack meeting. If I wasn't the beta to our pack, I wouldn't leave her. But right now, I think she needs time... time to think things over on her own, she seems overwhelmed and a bit confused. Believe me, I am just as confused and having sometime of my own to think and do some investigation might clear up some of my own confusion.

We get Shannon and Bree set up at a nearby table. Shannon looks stable now. I'm glad that she is willing to have something to eat, I can hear her stomach growling from beside me. Trusty Hank shows up just in time to drop off the food and drinks for the ladies. Christian and I get up to leave. As much as I don't want to leave, I say it was nice meeting her and that I look forward to seeing her again. Christian, Hank and I walk to the bar. Hank and Christian give me curious looks. I just shake my head.

"Leave her be. I don't think she realizes that she has a Wolf. I know her Wolf recognizes me but something doesn't seem right. I'll have to do some investigating, but for now we have a pack meeting. Let's go Christian."

As we head out the back door, I can't help myself but look back at her just once more to make sure she is ok.

Once we leave the bar, we jump on our bikes and head out towards the local pack house. I'm lost in thoughts about Shannon. I should be thinking about our war with neighboring Wolf pack, The Langston's. Or the conflict we are having with the Vampire king. But right now, all I can think about his her. I am so confused with what little I learned from her back at the bar. If I can't get close to Shannon, I will somehow have to talk to Bree to see if she knows more.