Chapter 6

I don't have windows or anything that I can look out of or find a way to escape. I need to find a way out of here somehow. I hear a small knock on my door, and I freeze in my spot. I don't say anything, so I listen to it again. I don't know if it is her, but I hope not. I don't want to look at her right now. I feel so hurt and betrayed by the one which I used to trust. I wait until I hear the door open slowly. 

I see another girl come in, not the queen. I let out a sigh of relief, and she stares at me, her eyes big, like she may be scared of me. Kinda like a scared little puppy, you have to be gentle at first and then you can finally earn its trust. 

"Hi, my name is Ember. I am your maid. I am here for all of your servicing needs," Ember gives me a little curtsey and a smile as well. 

"It's nice to meet you," I whisper back. I watch as she comes into my room further, and she has white hair, like lightning white, and I almost assume that she is old, but the way her face creases when she smiled at me proves she is my age, I think. S

"Not to be a nuisance, but I overheard your conversation with Queen Enya. Why don't you want to be her king? She can give you everything you want," Ember points out, looking up at me with those bright yellow eyes, and I understand that, but I want to go home and be there for my mom. 

"I don't want to be a king. I don't know what I am doing. She had someone kidnap me and take me away from my family. I miss them," I admit to her. She gives off this vibe that she is very easy to talk to.

"I am sorry, she sent me to come to get you. I had never seen a human in my life. I made sure to carry you with care." Ember just keeps staring at me, and I honestly don't know what to do. She seems almost too innocent for me. 

"That was you?!" I am in too much shock to be standing, I sit down on the bed, and at least there's one thing that is right in this hell hole, the bed is comfy as hell. 

"I am so sorry. Please don't hit me," Ember puts her arms up to guard her face, and I give her a soft look. Does the queen hit her? I would yell at that bitch if she did. Ember seems way too good for this place. Almost opposite from Enya. 

"What? No! I would never hit you!" I say softly, trying to calm her down. She looks like she is going to cry. "Does Queen Enya ever hit you?"

"Of course not! Only these crazy men that would come in here while Queen Enya tries to find her king," Ember explains, her eyes start to tear up, probably from remembering what these evil men have done to her. I feel bad for her and I don't want to think about what they did to her.

"Queen Enya is like my best friend," she continues, "she shares everything with me. I know that you guys were in each other's dreams and that she used to sleep horribly before you appeared in her dreams. Before you, she made me stay up with her all night, so I thank you very much." 

"Oh, well, of course, anytime," I give her a crooked smile. "Is there any way I can get out of here, or at least somewhere I can go outside?" 

"Well we all stay in the same city, there is an outside that you can go out and meet other people. But stay away from the borders, or you will probably get killed. The other queens don't like it when we trespass." Ember is spilling out all of these details. 

"Are those other queens Enya's sisters?" I ask, and I pat the spot next to me on the bed. She gives me wide eyes before sitting down, but her body is curled up and she sits quite a distance away from me. She still doesn't trust me yet. 

"Yes, they always have had more control over her, and Queen Enya is always jealous about that. She says with a king she will finally be the most powerful queen in the Four Corners." Ember explains. "She has all of these men over so she can find someone to marry. None of them wanted to marry her, so maybe you will want to marry her."

"I don't even know who she is anymore. I thought she was the girl from my dreams, but it turns out she lied to me about many things. I don't know what to think," I say with all the honesty I can muster from inside of me. I want Ember to feel safe when she is with me.

"Once you get to know her, she is a good person, I promise. She is damaged, like the rest of us." Ember fiddles with her fingers in her lap, not meeting my eyes.

"Yeah, we all are, aren't we?" I give her a crooked smile, and she looks up at me.

"Her father didn't love her as much as he loved his other daughters. He thinks their powers are better than hers. She has spent her whole life trying to make her dad love her," I am listening very intently to whatever Ember wants to tell me about Queen Enya, I want to hear some things that she has struggled with, so I know what type of person she is.

"She thinks that if she can get a king before her sisters, her father might care about her. Her dad is the king of all nature, and he always said the perfect monarchy always had a king. So Enya took that to heart, and that has been her mission." I like hearing Ember explain things. It is easier for me to get to know Enya without talking to her. Maybe if I know more about her, it will be easier for me to speak to her and be willing to get to know her.

"Thank you for all of this. It's nice to know some background instead of just kidnapping me," I laugh, and Ember gives me a small smile. I am hoping she warms up to me soon.

"Of course, anything to help my queen. We do love her here. She is a good queen, always been. Never been that rude to me, but everyone has their bad days, right?" It seems like Ember is trying to sell me on her, like trying to make me want to marry her. Maybe that's why Enya has Ember be my maid. I don't know my head is confused, and I don't know who to trust.

"So, what are her sisters' powers?" I ask, genuinely curious. I have never heard of such a place as this. My mind still can't wrap around what is happening to me. I still can't believe there are beings with powers.

"Water, air, earth, and she is fire. They all have their realms, but the four of them meet in the corner of all four kingdoms when they have serious business to deal with. But they never cross that border." I know that Ember will pretty much answer any question that I have, which is good to know, especially when I have no fucking clue what is going on here.

"The food is also delicious here too, so when she invites you to dinner, I suggest you go," I look over at Ember as she says that, and I see a small smile creep on her face.

I can't help but grin back at her, "that is very good to know. I am kind of hungry, though."

"Lucky for you, it is almost dinner time. So I can help you get ready, and we can surprise her by meeting Queen Enya in the dining hall. I think she would like that." Ember gets up from the bed, and she opens the closet, and I gasp. There are so many expensive items that look way too fancy for me to wear. I am a sweatpants kind of guy, so seeing all of these jackets and trousers and silk shirts makes me go a little dizzy.

Ember pulls out a white satin shirt with buttons on the top and some black trousers. "I think this would look nice on you, not too fancy." She puts it up to my body. "The perfect size too!" She helps me take off my shirt, and I blush under her stare. I know she is staring at my abs, and so what if I like to work out? There is nothing wrong with it.

She sets the outfit on my bed instead and tells me to get dressed. I think her cheeks are literally about to catch on fire from being so red. I don't know what to do, but she walks out of my room quickly. I chuckle to myself and get dressed.