Chapter 19

After Enya leaves, I don't know what to think about what happened earlier. I thought that we were getting along well but I don't know if all of that is fake. Maybe the best thing to do is to just talk to her and figure it out. She might be willing to explain her side of things. Maybe I am thinking too hard about this, maybe she has a real explanation.

I follow Enya out my door and I think the only place that she can be is her room. I know that when she gets upset she seems to hide from the world and I am pretty sure I'm the one who made her upset. I was kind of being cold to her but that's because I thought she was just using me. The only way for me to know is if I go and talk to her.

The doors to her room are so big that lead into an even huger room. I don't get how someone could need so much room. Maybe she gets lonely at night and just wants someone there, rather than for power. I guess we'll have to see. I knock three times on her door, hoping she hears me.

"You can come in," I hear her say from the inside, it sounds kind of muffled though. I open the large door and I step inside, sticking close to the wall. She is laying in her bed again, her back is turned towards me and she's curled in a ball. "Oh, I thought you were Ember. Is there anything I can help you with?" She still seems like she's a little timid around me. Which I can completely understand, I was being an ass. I also had the right to be an ass, she wasn't being completely honest with me.

"Can I talk to you about something?" I say honestly, I think it's best for us to just get things clear and out in the open.

"Yeah, of course," she sniffs and ushers me to join her on the bed. I take a seat next to her, keeping my respectful distance. "Is there anything specific you want to talk about? Maybe about...how much of an ass you were this morning."

"Yeah well I kind of had a reason for that," I say, trying to defend myself. I wasn't acting like a total ass for no reason.

"Please explain," Enya snaps back. I just ignore her tone and flatten my hands on my thighs.

"Well, I kind of heard your conversation with Ember," I admit. She just kind of looks at me with unreadable eyes at first. She seems almost skeptical of what I'm saying, but soon it seems to click with her.

"Oooh," is all she says at first. We sit in awkward silence for a bit. I'm not gonna say anything more until she says something else. This is kind of ridiculous what is happening right now. If she can't communicate with me then I don't see why I can be her king. This won't be the only fight that we get in.

"Are you questioning my motives right now? What did you hear us talk about? Just so I can know what to say," Enya says, and I can hear her trying to calm her breathing.

This is a valid question from her, she doesn't know what all I heard. Maybe that's another way of her trying to hide something. "I heard you talking to Ember about what your dad said. He said that if one of you gets married, then you get to rule all of the Four Corners." I don't want to look at her because then I'll feel bad for everything that I've done today. I am not going to feel bad for her until she explains.

"Yeah, that's all true, what you heard," she breathed out.

"So are you just using me for power? Is that all you want from me right now?" I whisper and I'm getting upset just talking to her. I feel so taken advantage of.

"What?" she sounds genuinely shocked. "Of course not! In the beginning, my father said that he thinks it is best if our kingdoms had a king and to try and get one. He is upset that he had four daughters instead of sons so now he is bribing us with power." The way she explains it sounds true. I hope that she is telling the truth with this but I just can't be fully trusting still.

"Well now that he's giving you so much power after getting married, you know that this is a way to get your father to love you more," I still can't see past her emotions on her face. Enya looks pretty unreadable now and I want to know what she is thinking.

She twists her mouth like she's sucking on something sour. This is probably not a good thing. I think I might have struck a nerve with her. She doesn't say anything and I take it as I caught on to what she had been planning.

"So, I'm right then?" I say after a long awkward pause and I cross my arms. She looks over at me with complete annoyance, like I am nothing but a toad. Just because she is queen doesn't mean that she has to be an ass. She wants me to be her king anyway so why is she being so rude to me? Makes me less want to be with her.

I had a good time getting to know her this past month. It doesn't feel like it has been this long. Enya has been fun around me and I think we could be a good match. I am just sick and tired of the lying and the fighting. I know that every relationship has its ups and downs but it seems like we're more downs.