~7~ Ignoring the Trouble

At the palace, the emperor held a meeting with the court officials

The empress, Taehyung, and Seorin waited for the emperor in the royal chamber.

The empress was forty years old, but she maintained her youthful appearance and looked no older than thirty years old. The empress wore an intricately embroidered silk dress and she was seated high on a platform next to the chair reserved for the emperor. She smiled politely at Seorin. "Little girl, I remember the first time I met you four years ago. I thought you were beautiful and I didn't know who would be blessed to marry you. If I knew back that you would marry my little fifth prince then I would have asked him to come back to Hanyang earlier."

The empress' fake praises didn't enter Seorin's heart. Although in the past Seorin didn't meet the empress often, it was clear to her that the empress' loyalty was reserved for Princess Ji Hoon and Park Sang-Hee. Princess Ji Hoon hated her to death so there was no reason for the empress to love her. Besides, everyone in the palace had years of experience of giving fake praises, especially someone of high status like the empress.

"Imperial mother, you are too kind," Seorin said. "I'm quite blessed to be married to the fifth prince."

Seorin smiled politely at Taehyung.

"Imperial mother, I'm the one who is blessed to marry Rinnie," Taehyung said sweetly and smiled warmly at Seorin.

Seorin refrained from vomiting earlier when Taehyung called her 'wife' endearingly in front of the maids, but she felt more nauseous after hearing Taehyung call her 'Rinnie' too sweetly.

The empress' ears stiffened after hearing the newlyweds' loving exchange. It reminded her of the year she married the emperor. Except the emperor married her to secure the throne. She didn't know if the newlyweds' situation was similar to her and the emperor... it couldn't be, the deep love aura in Taehyung's eyes was too clear.

Suddenly the empress felt Taehyung's warm boxy smile was too blinding. She picked up a cup, drank a sip of tea, and hid her cold smile. She put the cup down and smiled politely. "I'm happy to see the strong bond between the two of you. My heart was saddened when the little fifth prince was heartbroken after his little fiancée died... ah! forgive a muddle-headed elder like me, I shouldn't talk about the sad past. You two should start eating. The imperial cooks made much delicious food."