~ 36 ~ Unveiling the Truth

The Third Prince was dead

The Third Prince was dead. It was an unspoken understanding that Taehyung was the unofficial crown prince.

The imperial guards escorted the emperor back to the palace.

The maids and servants cleaned Taehyung's manor. But they were repulsed by the Third prince's blood.

Inside Taehyung's chamber, Seorin hugged Taehyung. Her heart was overwhelmed with happiness and relief. She was happy and relieved that her family survived that dangerous night.

"Taehyung, did we win?" Seorin asked.

"Yes," Taehyung said.

"Taehyung, when do you think imperial father's edict will be delivered?" Seorin asked. "He never wanted you to be the crown prince. I don't think we should accept it."

Although Taehyung won, he didn't feel triumphant. He looked out the window and thought of the distant past. He wondered when did he ever care about the throne. Was it when his imperial uncle was alive? Or was it Lee Jonghyeok's continual persuasion?

Taehyung struggled a lot in the past. He was grateful to the people who silently helped him to build his strengths. For years he hid his real self. If his father or his brothers ever detected his real self then between him and them the first person to die would have been him.

Even though Taehyung's biggest rivals have fallen, he didn't know why he felt even more anxious.

The following day the court officials were surprised the emperor appeared in the imperial court after the previous night's ordeal.

The emperor sat arrogantly on his throne. He wanted everyone to know he was still the powerful emperor that couldn't be easily defeated.

There were many court officials missing that day. Some were killed during the night and others were locked in the palace dungeon awaiting execution.

Those court officials killed and detained were surprisingly supporters of the Fifth prince. The emperor replaced their positions with ordinary people.

The court officials who were spared shivered during the meeting until the emperor dismissed them.