Chapter 6

Zack

Shiloh fell asleep during the movie, I picked her up and put her on the couch so she would be more comfortable. I kept my arms around her, she leaned into me. I held her and watched the rest of the movie. When it was over, Alex went to bed. Rian followed suit. Jack was half awake in the floor. I stayed still so I wouldn't wake up Shiloh. Jack finally got up, he looked at me and Shiloh and winked. I rolled my eyes and threw popcorn at him. Soon it was just me and Shiloh in the living room. I put it on the Goonies and turned it down so it wouldn't disturb her. I was scrolling on my phone when I heard her whine softly.

"Zack..?"

"Yes, Shiloh?" she opened her eyes and shot up, almost hitting her head. I caught her and pulled her into me. I felt her breath being scattered and her heart was pounding.

"Hey, it's ok. I'm here. You're alright." I felt her sigh and sit up.

"I- I'm sorry." she looked at me embarrassed.

"It's alright. Did you have a nightmare?" she nodded.

"I get it. Anything I can do to help? Do you want me to take you home?" she shook her head, eyes getting wide.

"That's fine, you can stay here. Are you scared of being home alone?" Shiloh looked down and didn't answer me for a while.

"Last time my dad left on a trip, my mom's boyfriend broke in.. He- he..." she started sobbing. I pulled her into me again and rubbed her back.

"You don't need to continue, it's ok. You can stay here." I wiped her tears.

"I'm here for you, Shiloh. Anything you need I will do what I can to help." she smiled at me a little and sighed.

"I'm sorry. This is the side of me I don't want people knowing about." Shiloh sat up. I looked at her.

"Well, I'm your friend. I want to know all of you. The good and the bad. You can't scare me away. I'm friends with Jack and Alex." she giggled a little, making me smile.

"Fair enough. I guess I'll just sleep on the couch."

"If you want. I was going to offer you my room. The guest room isn't really set up."

"I'm fine with the couch." she persisted. I shrugged.

"Alright, I won't fight back." I stood up and went to my room to get her a pillow and blanket. When I came back, she was curled up on the couch.

"Did you think I wouldn't get you a blanket or anything? Silly." I smiled at her and covered her with the blanket. She covered part of her face with her hoodie sleeve.

"Sorry.."

"Don't be. If you can't sleep or if you need anything, my room is the first one upstairs to the left." I ruffled her hair and went back to my room. I laid down and tried to sleep, but her words were in my head. What exactly did he do? It's not my business, but I don't want to hurt her. I want to know what he did. I want to help.

I heard the door open, I looked over and say Shiloh walk in, blanket wrapped around her.

"I- I'm sorry.. I'm scared to sleep alone. C-can I just lay here with you?" her face was red and her eyes were puffy. I patted the spot next to me.

"Come on, I told you that I would help if you need anything." she laid down and wiped her eyes.

"I.. I just don't want to bother anyone." I put my arm around her softly. She flinched, I stopped and retracted my arm.

"You never bother me. I enjoy spending time with you." she looked at me, her eyes were glossed over with tears.

"Promise?" I held my pinkie out and intertwined it with hers.

"I promise. Do you want to watch tv or anything? We don't have to sit in the dark." she shrugged.

"We can." I turned on the tv and let her choose. She picked cartoons and curled up, the blanket still wrapped around her. I wanted to hold her, make her feel safe.

"Shiloh?" she looked up at me.

"Yes?"

"I know it sounds silly, but can I hold you?" she hesitated before nodding. Shiloh moved closer to me, I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her close.

"I'll always be here for you. No matter what." she smiled and put her head on my chest. I felt her breathing even out. I watched Looney Tunes for a bit before I fell asleep myself.