Chapter 6

Aelin had never before been so grateful for her Fae abilities. After changing into a pair of loose pants and a very short shirt- a court fashion that was very much her style, she got Morrigan to bring her to the library. It was a while before the other girl left her to her own devices. Any other day she would have enjoyed the female's friendly manner, but right now she was getting in her way. The library was quite impressive, and if Aelin wasn't on a time crunch, she would have enjoyed it more. Its magnificent structure took her breath away- as did the incredible number of books stores on the shelves-shelves that ran around the whole room, from the ceiling to the floor. The gorgeous floor-to-ceiling windows allowed her to view the city below; it was quite beautiful. The massive crystal chandelier gave off such light, and the grand fireplace was very homely. What a wonderful place to read, Aelin could picture herself curled up in the tufted armchair, with a glass of wine, warmed by the fire. It was truly a shame that she would not be able to make use of such a glorious library. If only she had more time.

But time was of the essence, and so she immediately started her research. Alien wasn't exactly sure why her new friends had let her roam alone freely- but she was not complaining. She waited for Mor to disappear before shifting back to her Fae form, smiling when she felt the familiar feel of her fangs. Although she hated to admit it, her instructor had been right; the endless torture he had put her through was definitely worth it. Now, she was able to shift effortlessly- Aelin really ought to thank the bastard when she got back. Now with all her senses heightened, she started her research, going through rows and rows of books, trying to find something that could help her. Only to be stopped short when the conversation from the dining turned quite interesting. The princess turned assassin cocked her head to the side, a grin already forming on her lips. Yes, she knew that they found her suspicious and thought that her story was bullshit- but really, a spy?

It was laughable. She understood bits and pieces, but of course, drew a blank when they spoke of some king and the courts. Seeing as they seemed to believe that she was from the human realm, Aelin briefly went through their history and map. She had been right about the wall separating the two realms. And it seemed like some king was trying to turn the human one into his play thing-at least by the sounds of their conversation. Usually, Aelin would have considered staying and helping-but she was not Aelin right now, she was Celaena, and Celaena only looked out for herself.

She understood that they meant to keep her from leaving, which only prompted her to accelerate her speed with her research. However, despite the urgency of the situation, Aelin did not find a single book regarding Wyrdmarks. Or any book on magic at all. If she were to guess, those books and scrolls were kept somewhere more secure.

It was clear that they did not trust her-and rightly so, but she needed them in order to get those texts. And there was no way in hell she would tell them the truth; who knew if they would try invading her world, the damage that these strange Fae could invoke. It was too much of a risk.

So instead, Aelin put a plan in place. Though seduction was usually her style when she wanted something, she doubted that the violet-eyed boy would give her much information even if she slept with him. So the victim act would continue. They already thought that she was being mind-controlled, all she had to do was amplify that belief.

Of course, manipulation and deception were her middle name, yet Aelin couldn't help believing that Rhysand would be more difficult. So, she would have to set her sights on someone else. Not the general; he did not even want her to stay. Rhysand was flirtatious, but he was the most careful of the group. That raven-headed woman had suspected her from the beginning, and Aelin thought it wise to steer clear of her. The blond seemed cheerful, friendly, and carefree, though there was sharp intelligence underneath. That left Azriel, the boy in the shadows. He was quiet but saw everything-however, there was a darkness within him. He looked like someone who did not have a lot of love growing up, who suffered. His hands told her as much. Someone had inflicted those wounds onto him, he was a victim and her target. Besides, when he spoke to his brothers he seemed more gentle, not to mention that he had even let her stay in his bed. She had recognized his scent as soon as she entered the dining room, it was the same one that had clung to his sheets. A scent undetected by a mere human, and lucky for Aelin, she was not one.