Chapter 21

It was safe to say that Aelin had never before flown. When Rhysand had soared high up, Aelin felt her heart sink down to her stomach. The higher they went the more exciting Aelin got. She really could not believe her eyes. All she saw was a bright blue sky, not a cloud in sight. They flew in silence as she took in everything. It was exhilarating. The view was absolutely amazing, though the people were all but dots at that point, they seemed happy and free. Having been confined to the manor since she had arrived, Aelin hadn't seen much of anything. It was only from her research that she even knew where she was. Which is why when they flew over the city she was taken aback; the landscape looked different than the map she had studied of the Night Court. Before she contemplated it more Rhysand suddenly took off.

She clung to him, sticking her body to his, holding on tight to his arms which were wrapped around her waist. Aelin was not sure why but for some odd reason, she was not afraid of falling, for she knew that Rhysand would catch her. It was a strange realization and the assassin refused to give it more thought. Instead, she smiled as those massive glorious black wings flapped again.

It was like nothing Aelin had ever experienced before, so incredible that the assassin was almost regretting her impending departure.

Rhysand had a million thoughts running through his mind. His emotions were all over the place, his body on fire everywhere where Celaena's body touched him. Usually the prospect of flying comforted Rhysand but right now, the High Lord felt anything but. He was unusually quiet but he doubted that Celaena would even take notice; she was enthralled by the notion of flying. Her big, beautifully turquoise eyes made him melt, as did the breathtaking smile portrayed on her stunning face. Rhysand was absolutely sure that Celaena was the most beautiful being that had ever walked the earth. The High Lord closed his eyes and breathed in, painfully resisting from burying his nose into her nape. He secured his arms around her again, afraid that his body might forget the blissful feel of her body. He forced himself to memorize every inch of her skin that was pressed against him. He whispered a wordless prayer to whatever god was listening as he gently brought them to their destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ride was over too soon. The pair softly landed on the grass. Rhysand had orchestrated the meeting with the Mortal Queens. He had been filled with relief when they agreed to meet- but not at their palace, which was understandable given the history between humans and fae. Which is why Azriel went to find a piece of land which was unoccupied. It was a simple establishment which hadn't been inhabited in at least a couple decades.

Aelin stepped out of Rhysand's arms and quickly looked around. Assessing all existing and possible weapons. They made their way into the building with Rhysand guiding her, bringing to a room with a simple table and eight chairs. Five of which were currently being occupied by women of various apparences and ages. Aelin supposed they were the Mortal Queen. They stared at her with distan, their bodyguards in tense positions behind them. Aelin set her face straight and followed Rhysand wordlessly. As the two walked to the table, Aelin had the very distinct feeling that someone was staring at her. She looked up and true, she met eyes with one of the queens. She was middle aged, wearing white, with a broad smile adorning her face. The smile appeared sweet but the assassin was dubious of it. Aelin felt a knot forming in her stomach as she broke eye contact with the woman; there was something unnerving about her, something that warned Aelin not to trust a word she said.