| 4 | Familia Santos

"Um passo à frente e tu não estás mais na minha mente."

"A step in front and you're no longer in my mind."

.

A gentle woman opened the large wood door giving the strange man on her doorstep a kind smile, something Bruno did not expect. As she opened her eyes she saw a truly horrific sight.

She saw a man, in a worn out green ruana, eyes swollen with tiredness, skin wet with dried tears and sweat, his clothes soaking wet

She saw a man, in a worn out green ruana, eyes swollen with tiredness, skin wet with dried tears and sweat, his clothes soaking wet. The man was shaking... His ruana was bloodied.  She assumed it was the girl beside him who was struggling to stand without help. The young girl sported curly locks, broken glasses and beautiful skin tainted by blood from her injuries. The young girl and older man both shared the same curly hair. The woman stared at the man for at least ten seconds. No words were spoken as the woman stared at the girl taking small breaths. 

She understood the gravity of this situation.

Without saying a word the older woman gestured the Madrigals inside her home. With no other choice, Bruno and Mirabel walked inside. It was their best bet.

Bruno took in the inside of the house as soon as he entered. The front was immediately met with a hallway all connecting to five doors. Two on the left side of the hallway and another two on the right. While there was one in his front. The lady who invited them into her home opened the door closest to him on the right inviting another man into the hallway.

A man wearing a white blazer and a blue button up walked into the room, he wore black pants and navy blue socks. His jet black curly locks stuck to his sweaty tanned olive skin. Staring at Bruno with his hazel brown eyes, removing the navy blue scarf around his neck to assist his wife. As he went to pick up Mirabel from Bruno's arms, Bruno assessed the mans hands, they were hard and calloused, and his nails were short,as if he'd been biting them. He looked permanently exhausted. All the adults looked around the same age range.

"Wait! Señor! She... she needs help!! Please... she's hurt- bleeding.. fell off- she fell off a roof-"

Bruno was so distracted focusing on the man's features that he barely noticed his niece being taken from his grasp. He attempted to follow the man, but exhaustion substituted his paranoia. The lady in red stared at Bruno with a firm expression as she held a grip on his arm. She took her other hand and carried her long wavy dress, bringing him to the left room, while Mirabel was taken to the right one. Bruno was ushered to lay down on the couch. Dizziness and exhaustion overtook him and just before passing out, he frantically yelled to the woman-

"Señora- señora!? Where is Mirabel?! My sobrina! The one I was... the one I was holding.." His yell became a whisper as he passed out.

.

The woman went up to Bruno to check his pulse, making sure that the poor man wasn't dead. She washed his face with a wet towel and placed a cold wet towel on his forehead, heading for the kitchen to get him some drinkable water. "Why did this girls uncle have to pass out right before we treat his niece? What unfortunate timing.." she whispered to herself.