| 1 | The Argument

a nine year old girl with big brown eyes is nagging her older cousin. "look what i made camilo! it's a drawing of us! do you like it?" 

the boy was not paying attention-- almost completely passed out on a chair in casita. " camilo..? cam! heyyy stop ignoring me!! you promised me that we'd hang out -!" 

"mirabel. i'm too tired for this right now, okay? i'm going to bed." said the boy as he started walking to his room.

"but.. you hate going to bed early... are you okay cam? is this because you're overworking yourself with your gift again?..this isn't okay-" she followed the boy to his door and was cut off once more by her tired cousin.

"well maybe.. i like having my gift.. and maybe i like my personal space. and maybe I enjoy like spending time with other people! and maybe i like when you stop nagging me! it isn't my fault you weren't given a gift! you don't have to work as hard as us so you just don't get it!"

"h-huh-?"

"i'm done. good night mirabel."

"hold on-"

"stop it!"

a tired boy and a crying girl say at the same time to each other:

"that's not fair! you never listen to me! i just want you to be here with me! why can't we just get along?!"

"it's fair! you never listen to me! i just want my privacy! why can't you just leave me alone!?"

the boy slammed the door on the girl's face. 

A defeated mirabel madrigal walked to the nursery, with her head down thinking to herself.

'i don't really wanna bother anyone else today.'

'Where are we again...?'

Mirabel Madrigal goes by many names, hermana, prima, extraña. She and her family live in an enchanted town. This is because when her Abuelo Pedro died in a Colombian massacre, her grandmother, Abuela Alma accidentally created a miracle with her grief. His death was beyond traumatizing. Her grandmother held their three babies in her arms while her husband was assassinated right in front of her eyes. Because of all this, their house was created, and her family was blessed with gifts to serve their community.

Mirabel's tías and tíos, her primos and primas, her hermanas, they all were blessed with gifts and powers. For example, her two sisters, Isabela and Luisa. They both have extraordinary powers! Isabela can make any flower bloom with a single wave of her hand, while Luisa can lift solid granite or carry a herd of donkey's on her fingertip. Mirabel brags about her siblings all the time, she talks about them in such a proud tone.

Her tia Pepa's mood affects the weather, when she's unhappy-- the temperature gets weird.

They don't talk about Bruno.

Her mom Julieta can heal anyone with just one meal.

Her primos, Dolores can hear a pin drop,

Camilo shapeshifts,

Antonio just got his gift the other day! He can talk to animals.

Unfortunately, every good story has an unhappy ending, because she was the only one in her family without the blessing. The only Madrigal without a gift. She didn't have many friends growing up because of her lack of a gift. Everyone assumed she was bad luck and ignored her on the playground. Even her own family would participate in mean comments towards the young girl. She always felt a sense of insecurity in her family. Everyone considered her such an unfortunate forgettable child..