Chapter 7: Kingdom of Radiance

Sorry. I am trying to be regular. Stuck in a lot of things at the moment. That's a lame excuse to not post when ya'll are genuinely reading :( 

ly thanks for understanding. 

xx

---

Exalos and Orindoth, once had been together, he vividly recalls Igor saying. The kingdoms were rich in spice and science, they were the most powerful Kingdom in all of Albion. Enemies, never even dared to touch a hair of the kingdom afraid of being in shambles if they ever engage in a fight with, Zivia— it had meant the Kingdom of radiance.

"...the beauty and extravagance of the kingdom had reached far and across its borders. People from all over the world would come to exchange their goods, learn science and visit the glory Zivia held" Igor's eyes were in a frenzy when he described the time he was born and growing up in.

Igor's eyes had filled with tears when he narrated the story of how there wasn't an outsider to put the fate of Zivia at this catastrophic end but it was an insider. A close friend to the King.

"Orindoth's king was on the throne during that time, but your grandfather..." Igor had choked on his own words, "he was a great man, he was strong and wise, he was intelligent. He knew so much about science and technology during that time, he was the minister to the kingdom. He came right after the King" he narrated.

In a matter of the next few moments, Nanon had learned a devastating truth, not only was his grandfather a minister to the kingdom, but also a close friend to the King, "They were friends?!" Nanon was flabbergasted.

Igor had shook his head, "Not just friends, my dear Prince, they were inseparable. They had been inseparable for all the years they had grown up together. They had brought the kingdom its might because they were together..." his voice faded, "It was a dream, this land, my home"

"But?" Nanon questioned, intrigued.

"The king had always wanted his younger daughter to be married to your youngest uncle, Elijah. The moment when Elixir, King's youngest daughter was born, he had mentioned this desire to his beloved friend..." Nanon was so absorbed, but Igor would get lost in his memories every few minutes, fighting the tears, "Elijah and Elixir, grew up, may I add beautifully even. Your uncle was a brave man, my Prince, like how you are. He was dignified and strong, everyone cherished him and he was one of the strongest knights the kingdom ever had. He was a great man..."

"What happened to him?" Nanon retorted.

"Love is magical, my Lord, pieces that do not fit, must not be forced. Elixir had grown fond of your father instead"

"What—"

"My prince, like I said, pieces that do not fit, must not be forced. Your father was a steadfast man, he was in the line of becoming the minister to the kingdom, with more prominent and vigorous attributes, of course. He was kind, benevolent, but filled with purpose. Your father was not another distracted teenager, he hadn't returned Elixir's feeling" Nanon, was in shock, "But my uncle Elijah—"

"He was heartbroken, but his competition was his own brother, it was hard for him to endure. He couldn't fight, but nor could he resist" after a deep sigh, Igor continued, "the words traveled fast in the kingdoms during that time. The confessions and the refusals were starting to become deep-rooted, the King and the minister were both worried. Your father wouldn't marry Elixir, he stated clearly, on the other hand, Elixir was a very cut-throat, straightforward, and witty woman— also she was stubborn"

"Words had spread of the castle scandal, your grandfather and the king, had to do something sooner to avoid the spread of the ill-fire. People were having the excuse to point their filthy fingers towards the castle. On the other hand, Elixir had come up with an idea, she was young and feisty, she was ready to go to all sorts of lengths to win your father. She spread the word that she was pregnant—"

"That wretched woman—"

"No, don't say that, my Prince. She was a great woman, young and frivolous, but she had saved your father—"

"All she was trying to do was ruin his image—"

"My Lord, yes, that was her initial plan to win your father but soon, she had saved his life too. By giving hers"

"What?!" Nanon screeched.

"The King, was a good man, my son, but he was very impatient too. When her daughter had narrated the tall-tale of her being holding your father's child, the King had become urgently tempered, but before that, he had begged your father to accept Elixir, yet, since he was a man of honor and words, he hadn't caved in. Your grandfather was apprehensive and very worried about the household situation of once the great kingdom, he had also requested your father but before he could extend his request, the King had unsheathed his sword and flew it towards your father but..." his eyes filled with moisture, "Elixir had stood in the way of the sword and it, cut through her throat. The king had killed his own daughter, with his own hand... his own sword"

Igor respired in agony, "He had killed his own daughter and the king couldn't stand the thought. He had become a mad man, the friendship with the minister had broken into disarray...the great kingdom built by two great men, started to fall down before their own eyes. Later, they had found out Elixir's pregnancy was a hoax, the King was embarrassed, the minister was frustrated. Meanwhile, your uncle Elijah couldn't bear the pain to lose Elixir. He had gone to settle a minute dispute in the borders, but that night, the rain was wild, Elijah had never returned home"

The emotional status of the king and the minister was strenuous, none of them were able to hold the string of the kingdom. Mercenary attacks, tax scammers, looters, frauds had all begun to sneak into the kingdom that had been held out for such a long time, seeking the perfect opportunity"

Nanon grimaced, very intensely, "But—"

"A great kingdom can't grow with only three men, sire, but these three men were the head of the giant octopus. They were the radiance. When a head is shaken, the tentacles eventually fall apart. In about a year, your grandfather had shifted to what we call Exalos. I had been an accomplice of your grandfather all his life when he decided to move away, I had come with him but..." Igor paused again, regaining his strength, "I left my family there"

"Are they—"

"Your grandfather was a famous man, many from the other side of the kingdom had shifted to this side with him. He started from scratch, building his own Kingdom, his own army— it didn't take him long, with his wiseness and great sense of jurisdiction, Exalos had started to take shape within a year. But, the grief of losing a son had settled in the deep corners of his heart, even more, was the pain of being detached from his childhood friend. He never even dreamt of a life without being by the side of the King of Orindoth. Eventhough he had banned all sorts of communication with the kingdom next door, in his heart, the King of Orindoth would always be his forever friend. Soon, your grandfather had passed away. Your father had reigned the throne. Everything had happened so fast, your father could still not forget the loss of the father, he couldn't stand to bear the loss of his own father while feeling tortured every second he breathed, and most of all, he could never forget Elixir, as she fell in his arms, blood-soaked but eyes, those ocean-blue eyes, so in love" Igor, wiped a handful of tear off his face, "He couldn't forget his brother Elijah and how much more prosperous he could become if he had his brother with him"

Nothing was the same, ever again. 

---

That will be all for the background.