Chapter 16: Deep Understanding

Appreciate your reads :') Feel free to drop comments. 

---

Igor had told Nanon on that cold winter night that the King was planning a grand wedding for Nanon with the princess of one of the richest kingdoms in Albion. The King believed the wedding would bring forth good wills for both the kingdom and that all the dangers that were encompassing Nanon would vanish in thin air but Igor had his fears. He had told Nanon exactly everything the midwife had told him and Igor made sure to mention, "My Prince" he voiced with tears falling from his eyes, "Zivia's dream is always prominent in my heart, but never think that I am putting my selfishness before me when I tell you this truth. My prince," he wiped his tears, "I am telling you the truth because more than anyone else, you deserve to know this"

Nanon was petrified to his depths, "But Igor how can it be prevented—"

"My Prince it cannot and that is why both of your mothers had to give their lives in the quest to fix this"

"Father—"

"All he is trying to do is protect you because we all know, two princes can never be together" he shook his head, "There will be chaos if this ever happens. No one will accept—"

"What about the golden ribbon?"

Igor, nodded in pain and tears, "The prophecy also said that when time is near, it would indicate with a golden ribbon"

"What do you mean?"

Igor held Nanon's hands tighter, "You two must be together before the next winter comes, or else—"

Nanon immediately freed his hands getting up from his position, experiencing a wild head rush he exhaled, "Igor, what are you saying? Are you out of your mind?"

Igor stood up to match Nanon's height, "My Prince I am not. I know it sounds like insanity but if you two—"

"Please stop saying you two. He and I can never be together Igor, do you understand?" he huffed, "If whatever you are saying is true then go and find a cure—"

"My Lord it is not a disease—"

"Igor!" Nanon exclaimed in panic, "Do anything but get me out of this trouble. Can you not understand the ruckus it will bring if people got to know—"

Igor shook his head strongly, "My Prince all I am trying to do for years is to find a way to get you and him out of this. We all have failed and now the time is near. The prophecy says—"

"Oh fuck with the prophecy Igor" he yelled, "I don't want to do anything with this prophecy, please, I am tired of thinking about this"

"My Lord we are left with no choice" he stepped back with a piercing glance towards Nanon, "We are left with no other choice" he mouthed leaving Nanon alone in his chambers.

At this point, the truth was clear to him like crystals and Nanon didn't know where to hide.

After another few weeks, when the winter began to slowly shrink and the birds began to chirp more often, Ohm was struggling from a bad fever and at the same time awaiting letters from Nanon. He would wake up every morning and while drinking the bitter green-colored medicine, he would ask Fai if any letter had come only to be answered negatively. Between fighting the fever and waiting for Nanon's letter, Ohm had found an odd comfort in reading and re-reading the previous letters until one day, a new letter had finally come.

Ohm,

You won't be much happy to know but Igor said it's all true.

It is all true.

Nanon.

Ohm smiled weakly because his dry lips hurt and Fai had already brought him pen and paper before he could ask. Ohm had already reached the deadly conclusion couple of days ago that it all, in fact, is accurate and that, if they weren't together by the next winter, one of them had to die. In fact, one of them will die. Ohm was already suffering from a gruesome fever that had found no remedy so far. The king panicked and the kingdom fell oddly silent at the prince's bad health.

Nanon,

I know.

Ohm.

"Is that it sire?" Fai stared at the words and Ohm weakly nodded, covering himself under the blanket.

The king had crept inside Ohm's room that night but Ohm was already awake from the pain he felt inside his lungs, "Father?"

"My son" the king placed his hands on Ohm's chest, "How are you feeling?" he questioned looking painfully disturbed by it all.

"Don't worry too much about me" Ohm comforted his father instead like the great prince that he was, "I will be okay"

"Remember what the doctor said? As soon as you start noticing that you are coughing, immediately inform—"

"Father" Ohm took the king's faltering hands in his own, "I will not let you make a hasty choice"

"But Ohm—"

Ohm shook his head, "Everything will be okay" he summoned the great spirits from heaven swallowing the burn inside his lungs along with the coughs.

In the next week, when the harsh and cold winter was gone and the lovely colorful spring had arrived, Ohm had coughed white petals of a daisy. New beginnings, the royal doctor whispered picking up the petals and clasping Ohm's hand tighter, "My Lord, these are daisies, you must—"

Ohm struggled but yet he smiled, "Oh so now I will cough the flowers" he scoffed in brokenness.

That night the King had arrived in his chambers again, "Ohm, I will declare war and I will assassin him myself. There won't be a trace of blood in your hands my son, don't stop—"

"Father, you are being excessively emotional. This is not the time for you to act on your emotions" he coughed another bunch of white petals while panting and gasping for air while the King shrieked in terror and pain for his son, helping with the air intake and water.

Fai had been crying too often lately, "My Lord—" he was cut off with another bunch of coughing petals which shaded beautiful blue, hydrangeas, the doctor informed. Somehow it meant a deep understanding but Ohm didn't know any better. He didn't have the courage or the energy to think any further. 

---

the pain has begun. thanks for waiting if you are. i think I'll go on and publish the next few chapters as well. 

flicker of light my love. 

chase the flicker of light.