Chapter 9

After learning about Josh and Emily's engagement, I decided to spend the night at her house because I had nothing to do and both Zach and Josh had to get home.

"So," I start. "When's the wedding?"

"We just got engaged, Sky," she says. "We haven't decided yet."

"Well, when do you want it to be?" I ask her.

"Maybe a year from today. That way our wedding anniversary can be the same as our engagement anniversary."

"That's a good idea," I tell her.

"Plus, then you'll be able to walk down the aisle with me," she says.

"Huh?"

"As my maid of honor of course," she says matter-of-factly.

"Really?" I screech.

"Well, duh. You're my best friend. We decided that we would be each other's maid of honor when we were 5 years old."

"How did I forget?" I say.

"Well, we only have a year. Let's start planning" she says.

"Already?"

"It's my wedding. Of course already" she responds, flipping her blonde hair behind her.

"Of course," I say, mimicking her hair flip.

We spend the next hour making wedding plans. It's obviously going to take a lot longer than an hour, but it's a start. Today we picked the flowers. It's something at least.

We decided after that we were just going to watch a movie and then go to sleep. I told her to choose, and she chose Scream. I don't know why she wanted to watch a horror movie, but I did tell her it was her choice.

After the movie was over, we decided to watch an episode of Friends so we wouldn't have nightmares. I wasn't actually scared, though Emily was. It was her own fault.

When we finished the episode, we went to her room. She fell asleep pretty fast put was stealing all the blankets. Ugh. I try to tug them off, unsuccessfully. I end up falling asleep with no blanket. At least her fan was turned off, otherwise, I would freeze.

----

I wake up the next day to someone putting a blanket on me. I grunt and look to see who it is. Emily is standing there looking at me guiltily.

"Sorry," she says quietly.

"Whatever," I say back.

"So, are you ready for today?" she asks me once she realizes that I'm not going to be going back to sleep.

"Yeah," I say back.

Today is the day I get my permanent prosthetic leg. I'm excited, but scared. I know that it will work, but it will feel weird. I tried it the other day and it was fine, but it's definitely going to take some getting used to.

"Is Zach going with you?" she asks.

"Yeah, he's coming over later and then we are going together. My mom has work so he is taking me. She wanted to be there with me but couldn't get out of it. Plus, she trusts Zach."

"I'm sure you and Zach will be fine without her," she says while wiggling her eyebrows.

"Shut up," I say to her, knowing what she's implying.

I check the time and it is 10:07. Zach is coming over at 10:15 and the appointment is at 10:45.

"Oh, crap. I have to go" I tell Emily and rush downstairs. Well, try to rush. I'm on crutches so it's kind of hard to go fast. I will enjoy not having these crutches anymore after today.