Chapter 24

I wake up having heavy contractions. I'm 37 weeks now so I expected it, but I'm not ready. They started last night but I wasn't sure that's what they were. Now I am. It's so painful. I look down and there is something trickling down my leg. Oh my god. It's time.

I shake Zach to wake him up. thankfully he isn't a deep sleeper.

He looks at me for a split second before asking "NOW?"

I nod and he gets out of bed in a hurry. He gets dressed and texts my mom. Then he grabs my wheelchair, and we get in the car.

I think he ran 2 red lights on the short drive to the hospital. I feel another contraction and cry out in pain. Zach looks at me and drives even faster.

Everything goes by in a blur. We get to the hospital and Dr. Montgomery is already there because I called her on the drive. She takes the wheelchair from Zach and takes me to Labor and Delivery.

"Are you okay?" she asks me.

"Yes. In pain, but okay."

"Good."

We arrive at the room almost immediately. I guess there weren't too many other laboring mothers at 3 AM.

"Is he okay?" Dr. Montgomery asks me after I'm in the bed and changed. She is pointedly looking at Zach, who is pacing.

"Yeah," I say.

Then I feel another contraction.

"How far apart have your contractions been?" Dr. Montgomery asks.

"8 minutes," I say.

"All right. Well, you are about 5 cm dilated. I'll be back later."

"Okay."

She closes the door behind her and then I grab Zach's arm. He turns to look at me.

"ARE YOU OKAY?" I ask him.

He just nods.

"THEN STOP PACING."

"SORRY. I'M SCARED."

"ME TOO. BUT IT'LL BE OKAY. WE ARE ALMOST PARENTS."

He smiles and nods. Then he comes to sit next to me and starts rubbing my back.

"ARE YOU OKAY?" Zach asks me.

I nod but then I get another contraction. Zach grabs my hand and I squeeze it. Then it's over and I smile at him.

"WE'LL BE GOOD. I PROMISE."

Then I don't even know how many hours later it's time to push.

"Are you ready Skylar?" Dr. Montgomery asks me.

"Yes," I respond.

"Good. Then on your next contraction I'm going to need you to push."

I nod and the contraction comes just after.

"Push" I hear Dr. Montgomery say and I do.

Then again and again. I told Dr. Montgomery I didn't want any pain meds. I'm starting to regret it now. I push a few times before I hear a cry.

"Congratulations. You have a baby girl."

I can feel the tears running down my face, but I don't even care.

"Can I hold her?" I ask Dr. Montgomery.

"Yes."

Zach cuts the cord and hands my daughter to me. Our daughter.

I hold her for a few minutes before I hear Dr. Montgomery speak again.

"It's time to push again," she says.