Chapter 9 - The Job Offer

Poor Alexa was back in her office now, comfortably seated at her desk and staring blankly at her slimline black laptop with her hands hovering hesitantly over the keypad.

She had been typing up the meeting's notes for the past ten minutes but now appeared to be having some trouble concentrating on her work with his masculine scent still filling her nostrils.

Letting out a sigh of frustration she rolled her eyes and slumped back against her expensive seat.

"Come on Alexa don't let him get to you." she spoke to herself aloud.

Dante Romano, she couldn't believe it.

Of all the employees in the entire company she had to take a ride in the elevator with the fucking CEO of Romano Enterprises!

And what's worse, she actually tried to kiss the man!

Kiss him!

Alexa wondered how she would ever go about looking her boss in the eye again after this.

Those captivatingly bright green eyes of his.

Would she still have a job in the morning?

Endless questions flooded through her mind as she began rocking back and forth in her expensive leather chair.

'Knock, knock.'

Thank god, a welcome distraction.

The small knock at the door caused her to turn her attention to the familiar figure standing in her office's doorway and her heart skipped a beat as her body instantly became rigid.

"Mr. Harworth. Is there something I can do for you sir?" she asked, beginning to rise from her seat but pausing in place as he held out his hand and began speaking.

"No, no. Please sit. I wondered if I could have a moment of your time." he enquired, stepping into her office and closing the door behind him softly.

"Of course, sir."

Alexa smiled as she fell back down into the leather seat and watched him sit down opposite her. He crossed both arms over his chest once he was seated comfortably.

She had known the man long enough to know that crossing his arms was never a good sign.

Something was wrong.

But how? She had made every single effort to ensure that the meeting ran as smoothly as possible, seen to every tiny detail herself, even working late into the evening for the past god-knows how many weeks.

How on Earth was this man unimpressed with her efforts?

"Is something... wrong sir?" she asked hesitantly.

"If this is about me being late this morning I have a reason, I swear to god-"

"-No, no, that's fine. Mr. Romano already explained what happened there." Gary interrupted her with his hand raised as a gesture for her to stop talking.

"He... he did?"

She froze. Her heart sank as she swallowed nervously.

"What exactly did he say?"

Gary's brow rose in question as he replied.

"Hm? Oh, just that the two of you managed to get yourselves stuck inside an elevator for over an hour or so. Something along those lines."

Without realising that she had, Alexa let out a long exhale of relief.

Apparently, Dante hadn't chosen to tell Gary about their shared kiss.