Chapter 10 - A Ride Home

After making her way out of Roman Enterprises, Alexa began the tedious task of locating a means of transportation back to her apartment.

A taxi would do, though she much preferred to Uber wherever possible. More reliable drivers, she believed.

Glancing down at her phone she realised there were currently no available Uber drivers in her area, and she huffed in frustration.

Cars whizzed by her as she stood on the curb side oblivious to their existence, scrolling through various numbers on her phone to find the number for a local taxi.

As she continued her focused search, Alexa hadn't even noticed as a sleek black town car suddenly pulled up beside her at the curb.

A figure exited the car and opened the rear car door for someone else to exit.

The sound of footsteps approaching from behind suddenly alerted her as Alexa froze, her hand reaching slowly into her handbag for her faithful can of mace.

But she stopped at the sound of his voice.

"Need a lift?"

With a puzzled expression, she slowly turned around to meet him face to face. The exact moment she had, her skin began to heat up.

"Mr. Romano..." she looked around, noticing his waiting town car at the curb beside them.

"Uh, what are you doing here? I thought you left hours ago."

"I was in the area. Saw you standing here... alone..." Dante admitted, shrugging his shoulders upwards.

"And you just... thought you'd give me a lift home?" she seemed unconvinced by his story.

"Why not? We can talk about tonight on the way."

"Tonight?"

"Yes, dinner." Dante replied with a smile.

"Did you not receive my note? I instructed Mr. Harworth to give it to you."

"Oh, yeah, he did." she admitted, nodding and reaching into her handbag to grasp the eggshell-coloured envelope.

He watched in confusion as she pulled it out.

"I uh... haven't read it yet." she admitted, rather guilt stricken.

He chuckled, glancing downward for a moment.

"I see..."

He turned to the side and waved his hand out toward his car, in a gesture for her to come along as he spoke.

"Well, allow me to explain it to you in person, Miss Myers. On your way home."

____________________________________________

After hesitantly accepting the lift home from none other than Dante Romano, Alexa suddenly found herself feeling rather out of place.

Like an insect caught in a spider's web.

And Dante, with his sinful smirk and lustful eyes... he was the spider.

"So, I'm assuming that Gary already went over the basics of the new job with you." Dante spoke.

As he did, the billionaire casually leaned back against the shiny black Italian leather seats that both he and Alexa were seated on, positioned awkwardly beside one another.

He still smelled incredible and the scent was driving her mad.

She couldn't stop her heart from racing, thudding loudly over and over within her chest at the thought of such a man sitting so close to her.