6.

[edited]

[thinking about you- frank ocean]

0
{Ray}

We were all sitting in class. Paying attention, nodding off, even some on their phones. I was taking notes, occasionally glancing at Ashtray. It came as a shock to me that Ashtray would be in such an advanced class. It's not like he's dumb or anything , I just assumed he didn't take school that seriously.

The class was pretty boring. I looked out the window that led to the hall way. I gasped when I saw Nate walk past in hand cuffs, escorted by two cops and the principal. My gasp made everyone else look over. They all began to gasp themselves. Some laughed, some took pictures, others didn't really care all that much. Ashtray glanced over, scowled, and looked away after a second or two. I laid my head on my desk. Poor Maddy. She's gonna be pretty upset when she finds out. The teachers got the attention of the class and continued to teach the lesson.

A couple days later I learned what happened. Nate choked Maddy. Or at least that was the rumor. I even asked Maddy about it.

"Are you serious? Why the hell does everyone keep asking me that. No, Nate did not choke me."

I didn't really believe her because Nate hadn't come back to school since that day. Eventually Maddy and her family dropped the charges, allowing Nate to come back to school. I stayed far away from him, and avoided the occasional eye contact he made with me.

My sisters and I parted ways as Rue and Gia rode the bus home. It was weird to see them ride the bus since Gia usually walked to her friends house or stayed after school at the library and Rue rode home on her bike with Jules. I decided to go to Ginger's store, something I did on the regular. I've been spending more time with those two than Rue.

"Yo, wanna play Minecraft?" I asked ash as I sucked on the lollipop in my mouth. Ash sat at the table, chewing on some cereal. "Nah, that game is lame as hell." I rolled my eyes. " And what game would you consider not lame?" Ashtray smiled. "Let me show you."

I stared at the TV as Ash killed a zombie with a sledgehammer. "So brutally killing zombies is your definition of a cool game?" Ash ignored me and continued to play, liking his lips in deep concentration. I stared at his lips. My heart began to beat loudly.

Why did the room get so hot and when did I get this sweaty.

I looked away, rubbing my hands on my pants.

"You wanna try. This game is low key fun ass hell." I shook my head, smiling. " Nah, I'll just watch you play." He nodded and started the game back up. I didn't really look at the game. My full attention was on Ash. His fast hand movements on the controller, they way his eyes followed the zombies. I admired him. He didn't look scary or intimidating. He looked like a innocent, happy kid. It was something I missed in myself. Something I only felt when I drew or read. I listened to my heart beat. Why did I have to catch feelings for him.

"I gotta go. I'll see you later." I stood up. " Huh? I thought you were staying until 6? It's only 4:30?" I looked at my watch. It was only 4:30. I shrugged. " I wanna head over to Maddy's before it gets to late." I lied. I just couldn't stand being here anymore. Ash's face faltered but then returned to normal. "Alright. I'll let Fezco know you left when he gets out the bathroom." I nodded and gave Ash a quick fist bump. I sent him a small smile and left.

I closed the door and stood with my back against it. I held my chest, a sudden pain erupted. My breathing got heavy. " I'm gonna have to tell him aren't I?" I asked rhetorically. I began to walk home. I should've brought my bike. The walk was silent. The only thing I thought about was Ash. And my feelings for him. Eventually I made it home. I went straight to my room. Avoiding Rue, who stood in the kitchen dancing. I sat on my bed. My thoughts spiraled.

I have to ask Gia.

"Hey." Gia put down her journal. " Yeah? What's up." She patted the bed beside her. I entered the room and sat beside her. "How did that hangout with Ashtray go?" She looked at me confused then her face turned to one of realization. "Ohhh, it went fine. We went to this arcade. Ash is surprisingly good at games. Especially shooter games." I nodded.

" S-so do you have feelings for him?" My heart was beating so hard I thought it might pop out my chest. Gia thought for a moment. "No, not really. I think we'd make good friends, that's it. Plus, he doesn't even want a relationship." I was relieved. Until I thought about the last part. He wasn't ready for a relationship. "Okay, well I'm glad you had a good time. I have to go but I'll talk to you later." She smiled and began playing on her phone again.

I went back to my room. I decided a shower was definitely needed. Once I got out I put on a black long sleeve shirt and a pair of pajamas shorts and hopped into bed. My eyes slowly fluttered closed.