17.

[edited]

[been away - brent fayiaz]

I tossed and turned in bed. I wasn't able to get a good nights rest ever since that argument with Ashtray.

"Are you alright?" Gia stood at the door, a worried look on her face. "Um, not really." She walked inside the room, sitting beside me on the bed. "Wanna talk about it?" I nodded with a small frown. "So, I might have forgot to mention that Ashtray and I are.. dating." Her eyes almost popped out of her head.

"What!? Since when?" I shrugged. "Like since New Years? Maybe before? Anyway that's not really the point, we got into a argument and he basically said that I wasn't important and that I'm a distraction." Gia frowned. "He probably didn't mean it like that. It was said in the heat of the moment." I shook my head. "He still said it. Maybe we should take a break... i don't know?" Gia's eyes widened.

"Do you want a break? Or is that what you think he wants?" I didn't respond. I honestly didn't know. She let out a sigh. "Just think it through. Don't let this argument ruin what you guys have. Just talk to him." I nodded. "Thank you for the advice. I'm glad you're not upset that I didn't tell you." She scoffed. "I never said I wasn't mad. You should've told me. But- I can't let you mess up your first relationship in like a hundred years." I rolled my eyes.

"It has not been that long." "But it feels like it has been." I nudged her shoulder. "Don't you have homework?" She smirked. "Don't you?" I scoffed. "Go! I gotta call someone anyway." She smiled widely. "Go get your man."

*******
[bold- ashtray   italics- ray]

"Hey."

"Hi."

"I'm so sorry."

" I accept your apology. I can't stay I've forgiven you, though. The things you said really hurt."

"I don't know why I said that. It's not even how I feel. Well, not anymore. My whole life all I've wanted was to keep my family safe and collect money so that we never had to struggle ever again. So when I met you, i finally had something I wanted more. You."

"Thank you, Ashtray. That really means a lot. But I should also apologize. It wasn't that big of a deal but I can't just bear the thought of you losing you."

"And you won't have to. I promise."

After the phone call with Ashtray I honestly felt better. I decided since there wasn't any school today so I decided that I'd go for a bike ride.

"Where are you going?" I called out to rue before she was able to slip through her window. "Uh, I was gonna head over go Jules's. Where are you going?" I crossed my arms, not completely convinced. "I'm gonna take a bike ride to think about some things." She climbed down and sat down on the bed. "Lovers quarrel?" I rolled my eyes playfully. "Something like that." Rue stood up, smiling. "Well let me know how it goes. Anyway I gotta go." I nodded and left the room.

I slipped my earphones on and began riding. The wind in my hair, the music blasting. It was everything I needed. I eventually rode down to Frank's Restaurant. When my dad was alive, we would always come eat here. This place held hundreds of good memories. But, right now, it was causing me so much pain. "I miss you dad." I quietly whispered to my self as I got off my bike.

"Ray? Is that you? My goodness, you've gotten so darn big." Miss Marsha yelled, stepping out from behind the counter. "Hi, Miss Marsha. It's good to see you. I'm sorry I haven't come by more often." I smiled softly. "Don't worry about that, honey! I understand. Gone ahead and have a seat. I'll whip you up some coffee. Decaf with Two pumps of creamer and no sugar?" I nodded and sat down.

"You still got it, Miss Marsha. This coffee is better than I remember it." Miss Marsha smiled sweetly. "How's rue?" I grimaced. "Not the best. She's getting worse and I don't know how to help her." Miss Marsha sat down across from me.  "Listen to me. You've got to worry about yourself too, honey. Rue has to help herself. She has to want to be helped before you or anyone else can do anything for her. When she wants help just be sure to be there for her. That's all you can do, baby." I nodded, taking in her words of wisdom.

Ever since I was little, Miss Marsha always gave me the guidance that I needed. Especially when my dad died. "Thank you." Miss Marsha smiled.  Before she could say anything the door opened and an elderly couple enter the restaurant. "Of course, honey. Anytime. I got some work to do so you gone ahead and finish your coffee." I nodded, sending her a wide smile. She stood up and went to go take the couple's order.