Chapter 41: Spaces on the wall

Meredith awoke to the sound of at least two sets of small feet pounding past the door. She blinked and breathed as she became aware of a set of strong arms holding her securely to an equally strong chest. And, by the relatively shallow breathing of the man behind her, she knew he was already awake.

"Morning," she mumbled as she pulled his arms tighter around herself.

He shifted closer, his chin reaching as far forward as hers. "Good morning."

"I don't even remember you coming to bed last night." As soon as Derek had headed into the bathroom for his shower the evening before, Meredith had dug her pyjamas and toothbrush out of her suitcase, got changed, barged into the bathroom to use the sink and was in bed before the water was off. She hadn't been conscious enough to realize he had joined her in bed, but it was evident that even though he wasn't allowed certain privileges this weekend, he wasn't about to sleep on his own side.

He chuckled, the sound rumbling from his chest through her back. "You were out cold."

"I was tired."

"Hmm," he pulled his head back and buried his nose into the pile of dirty blond hair that had accumulated at the base of her neck.

Meredith sighed contentedly. This was definitely the best way to wake up in the morning. "How long have you been awake?"

"Not long," he said into her hair.

She gently rolled her eyes. That was always the answer she got, leaving her with no idea whether he spent minutes or hours holding her while she slept. It had bothered her before, but ever since her revelations regarding his experience during her drowning, it no longer troubled her. In fact, she welcomed it. And on the rare occasion she found herself awake when he wasn't, she did the same thing. She had discovered a peaceful sense of intimacy in the behaviour.

"What time is it?"

He groaned and pulled away to roll over to consult the clock radio on his side of the bed. "Almost nine," he told her when he rolled back and resumed his original position.

She yawned and took advantage of the fact that his hold was a little looser and turned to face him. "We should get up."

He smiled and weaved his fingers through hers. "We should."

She giggled when neither of them made a move. "It's a comfy bed," she commented.

He nodded. "It is, though it's too bad we won't be able to fully try it out." He raised an eyebrow.

She snorted. "Are you seriously still on about that?"

He nodded. "Absolutely. I'll be on about it until we leave."

Meredith laughed out loud and kissed him. "That's for being supportive," she told him sarcastically.

"Hey, just because I'm complaining does not mean I'm not being supportive. I love you, and I'll do anything you ask, but it doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with it."

She kept laughing. "You're such a man."

He nodded quickly. "I am a man, and you're denying my needs."

"I'll make up for it when we get home. I promise."

He leaned close, his lips barely a hairs width away from hers. "I'll hold you to that."

"I'm sure you will..." Anything else she was going to say was cut off when he finally closed the gap and pulled her into a long kiss. His arms found spaces on either side of her, and he lazily pulled his body over top of her, straddling her leg. There was no urgency in his moves, as if to tell her that even though she had placed a sex ban, it didn't mean he wasn't going to touch her.