13. Leaving

2k reads??? You guys are incredible! Sorry this one was so short... Longer and better ones coming soon! Vacation is here, so get ready for some more updates ❤️

The sun hits me in the morning, and for a short second, I think I'm still in Charles's mansion.

I'm in a hotel. Of course.

I had packed everything last night and had left the house, looking for another place to stay. I had money, of course. It wasn't a lot, but it was probably enough for a while, until I could call Francesca back in Oxford and tell her I was coming back from my so-called holiday. I even miss her a little bit.

Coming to New York and going to Cuba was a mistake. This whole thing was a mistake. I made that mistake and only realized it now that Charles was paralyzed and everything, more or less was ruined. Falling in love with Charles was also a mistake, because I never would have been second guessing my choice to leave the mansion if it hadn't been for him.

I was in love with him. Maybe I still am, but everything seems numbed in a blur of messy decisions. Loving him- that I understood, but I didn't understand why I still wanted to go back. I couldn't go back. I had already done permanent damage, and I didn't want to do any more.

Especially not to him.

I sit up in the hotel room bed, the springs squeaking uncomfortably beneath me. I have a migraine that has been going on every since I left- it's as if Charles himself is probing around my mind, trying to find me, talk to me, manipulate me into coming back. But if he taught me how to let him in, I also know how better to shut him out.

I'll forget about him.

He'll forget about me.

Right?