¿Por qué?

What happened? Why was Sofía surrounded by a golden light? Why did she say she was leaving but she never left?

Dolores and Isabela were rambling on and on as they discussed the events with the completely confused Camilo. He didn’t know anything about what had happened. All he knew was that he was sleeping peacefully and the two girls barged into his room to talk to him about something. With the two together, he knew it was going to be about Sofía, but he didn’t expect them to tell him this.

“What do you mean? She left without even saying goodbye?”

“Sounds like someone really does love her!” Isabela snorted.

Dolores continued to speak, ignoring Isabela’s comments. “Except, she didn’t leave,”

“Wait, what? But you just said—”

“I know what I just said. But she was surrounded by a golden light but she didn’t leave. She seemed a little frustrated.”

“She doesn’t want to be here?” Camilo asked, frowning.

Dolores shrugged. “I don’t know, but she didn’t seem all relieved that it didn’t work, whatever it was,”

“I’m going to talk to her,” he said, standing up from his bed, ignoring the comments that came from his sister and cousin as he walked out of the room. He needed to know the answer to all of this. What had happened?

***

Why? Why didn’t it work? What could she possibly still need to do that would keep her here? Sofía sighed as she sprawled across her bed. It didn’t make sense. How? How did she not return to America? To Camp Half-Blood?

“Hey, uh… can we talk for a minute?” It was Camilo. He entered the nursery and sat in what used to be Mirabel’s bed, which was across from her own. Thanks to Casita’s new magic due to Hecate’s blessing, Mirabel finally got a room of her own.

“Oh… sure,”

Camilo leaned forward. “You were going to leave and you never told any of us?”

“Dolores,” she groaned as she realized the girl overheard everything, her whole conversation with Chiron. Thank the gods I didn’t bring up demigods or anything like that…

“And what’s up with the way you were trying to leave? I didn’t know Casita could do that!”

She shrugged. “It didn’t work anyway so I’m going to be here for a little while longer,”

“Do you not want to be here?” His confused and saddened expression almost threw her as off-guard as his question itself.

“Of course I do! I just have to go back to America at some point,”

“Are you sure?”

“Of course, you idiot!” She then snorted at his facial expression. “You look like a dork, mi camaleon,”

His face grew bright red in embarrassment. “I mean… I am a dork?”

“Did you just admit that?” Sofía laughed.

“I… maybe?”

***

Dolores grinned from ear to ear as she sat with her cousin in Isabela’s flower-filled room. “I think they’re getting along just fine,”

“You think?”

“I know it,”

***