Holy night

When Purple Yam Cookie and I returned to Milk Cookie's spot, we found him praying on his knees.

I couldn't help feeling bad about leaving him here to go look inside the witch's pouch, even though he may have needed the alone time. Ever since I explained that witches are humans, I've been worried about him.

"MILK COOKIE!" Purple Yam Cookie yelled.

"Huh!?" He looked up from his prayer.

"Check THIS out!" His friend showed off the chain of the necklace retrieved from the witch's pouch. "Could come handy, huh!?"

"Oh!... I suppose it could!... I hope its owner isn't looking for it though..." Milk Cookie said with a frown.

I wish I could have told them this necklace technically belonged to me. "Oh! Don't worry about that... Uh... Humans don't care for... chains like that. It's pretty much trash to them! I'm sure the owner is okay with us borrowing it."

"Ah..." Milk Cookie smiled a bit, finally, making me feel a little relieved. "That's a relief!... Let us continue our journey then!" He said as he stood up, seemingly reverting back to his optimistic self.

So off we went. And for a while, we were all pretty quiet...

"...Y/N?" Milk Cookie finally said.

"Hm..?"

"Why didn't you tell me those 'humans' sharing your homeland are the same kind of beings as witches?..."

"...Oh, well... It's... it's kind of common knowledge where I come from, so... I-i guess I might have just assumed that you'd know?..." I looked at him with a frown. "I'm sorry. I would have told you if I knew...!"

He smiled. "Oh, don't worry! It's just... To know there's a land mostly habited by the same beings that made us... I'm... I'm a little bit... overwhelmed! And you live among them?"

"...Well, like I told you before, I do what I can to stay out of sight. Some humans can be cruel, and risking my life to find out if I can trust one human just isn't worth it to me..."

"Really?" He raised a brow, squinting one of his eyes. "But think of what it must be like to be friends with such a being!! What an honor it must be... To be able to know what they think of the world..."

I felt myself blushing. He was technically talking about my kind, little did he know. But... surely he'd be disappointed to find out humans are not some wise olympian titans of creation... So now I just had new reasons to keep my identity a secret...

"...I guess it could be quite something..." I said. "But... but what if they're not what you think they are?"

He blinked. "..What do you mean?"

"I mean... do you think they're... gods...?"

"Oh, no, not like the Light anyway... If that's what you mean." He replied.

Oof, what a relief...

He continued. "...But... witches brought us into this world, and there must be a reason for it..."

Oh, crap.

"But- but it doesn't matter what the witches made us for, right? We can make our own destiny! You decided to become like Dark Choco Cookie all on your own!" I said insistently. "The reason why the witches made us is totally irrelevant and shouldn't affect us in any way! ...Right?" I had to know he'd be okay if he ever found out... the truth about cookies.

He smiled brightly and chuckled, somehow amused by the way I was acting. "Yes, I suppose you're right, the witches don't have a say on what my destiny is! ...But they are the reason we have one in the first place."