2 years later

Shadow waits in the car for knuckles to get out of his therapy appointment. He's gotten better and has become less traumatized from his captivity. What kept him alive during his traumatic experience was his determination to see Shadow, his father, his brother and friends again. The gang all graduated college a few months ago and are getting together for their very first trip at the company that discover them during the last year of college. Knuckles and Shadow moved in together in shadow's home bought by his uncle and the two couldn't be happier. Shadow actually has a surprise in store once they get to the trips destination. He smiles as Knuckles walks out the door and enters the car. "Well? How's it go." "She wants to meet you next month" he smiled. "What why?" "She just wants to meet you that's all she said." Knuckles said buckling his seat belt. "Ooook" Shadow said putting the car in gear to head to the airport.

Knuckles lays his head back on the soft chair in the first class section of the plane enjoying a nice cocktail. "Nice huh?" Sonic asked. "Yep and I'm still surprised you are even on a plane you hate it more than water" Knuckles joked. "Hey! I gotten over that fear and took swimming lessons!" Sonic pouted. "Hey you still hate to get wet" Knuckles smirked chuckling. "You got me there bro" sonic said crossing his arms. "I still can't believe we're going New Orleans." Mario smiled. "Right!" Sonic said excitedly. Knuckles gets up from his chair as the two talk and sees Shadow on his phone talking to Peach, Cream and Daisy. "So where are you going to do- Hey Knuckles!" Daisy smiled nervously like she was hiding something. "Hey? What were you asking him?" Knuckles said leaning on the chair. "Ummmmm oh look Luigi I gotta go bye!" She bolts. "Is she ok?" Knuckles asked Peach and Cream. "Yeah just excited" Cream smiled and drags Peach away from the two. "Shadz what's going on? Why are they acting like that?" "Honestly I have no idea. We were talking about places in New Orleans to see and possibly tour if we have time since we are here for 2 weeks." Shadow shrugged. "Well I'm getting another drink want anything? Blood orange Mamosa?" Knuckles grinned teasing. "No thank you Red." Shadow smirked teasing back. Knuckles laughs and walks off.
The plane finally lands in the beautiful city of New Orleans. "Wow it's so beautiful!" Amy chirped looking at all the architecture of the buildings. "What's with the decor?" "We arrived just in time for Mardi Gras" Shadow said. "REALLY?!" Blazed smiled super excited and Shadow nods. "AHHHH I ALWAYS WANTED TO ATTEND MARDI GRAS!" Silver jumps never seen her this excited before. "You're in for a treat then" Mr. Dreco the CEO smiled walking up to the group. "Welcome everyone I hope you enjoy your time here. Remember this isn't a business trip it's a trip to celebrate your new jobs with our company and experience part of the job which will include traveling. Now I have your hotel room keys here and our bag boys will deliver your luggage to your rooms in the mean time please adventure around New Orleans and have fun." He smiled shaking everyone's hand as he gives them their room keys. "I HAVE TO TRY A BEIGNET!!!" Amy and Daisy said grabbing Luigi and Sonic's arms dragging them with them. "COME ON SILVER!" Blaze yelled dragging silver. Knuckles laughs watching the rest of them heading to the city. "Honestly I ready to crash on a nice soft bed" knuckles said stretching. "Maybe I could join you~" shadow flirted. "Cute and tempting but no thanks" knuckles smirked walking away. "God I love him but why is he such a tease!" Shadow thought smiling.
Knuckles flops on his bed in the nice vintage hotel room. He looks up at the ceiling thinking about the events in his life from leaving the island at 9 years old to fight off Eggman's grandfather a year after his mother's death, to meeting the rest of his friends during high school, to starting his relationship with shadow that been going very good. He thinks about his future and gets up leaving the hotel.

Few days later

The gang all get together at the park after attending many Mardi Gras parties at bars and clubs. "God the cool air feels nice" Rouge smiled. "Tell me about it!" Luigi agreed. "Sooooo what are we doing next tonight?!" Peach asked. "I don't know maybe we can all chill for a bit before hitting up another party or just turn in." Sonic said. "I agree plus I think we celebrated enough tonight." Mario said. "Actually there will be something to celebrate" shadow said as he turns to knuckles getting on one knee pulling out a ring and everyone gets excited. "Knux will you marry me?" Knuckles stares at shadow for a couple of minutes silent then burst out laughing. Shadow and the group look confused as knuckles holds up a finger reaching in his pocket and kneels to shadows level pulling out a ring too. Shadow starts laughing with him along with their friends.

They both knew the answer exchanging the rings and shared a sweet kiss as their friends cheered on.