Chapter 18 || A Broken Heart 1/2 ||

The following day the Anemo Archon visited his old friend once more. He heard from others about the altercation that had occurred the night before. At first, he thought nothing of it. Morax had faced many battles with friends and foes. However, Venti's confidence wavered when he arrived at the palace.

"Zhongli refuses to see anyone currently?"

"That is what Lord Rex Lapis has requested" The guardian Yaksha informed Barbatos.

"Is it that bad?"

"No one knows of his condition currently" Xiao sighed. It was clear that he was worried for Morax. Bags were beginning to form under his eyes. It hurt Venti to see his lover in this condition.

He reached out and cupped the yaksha's cheek, caressing his thumb against the bags beneath his eye.

"There's no need to stress about that old man right now. You need to get some rest, my love". He spoke softly to Xiao, hoping his words would ease him.

"I'll take care of things from here", Barbatos kissed the purple diamond on Alatus's forehead as they parted ways.

Making his way through the palace, a wave of anxiety washed over him. The bard had only heard a summary of what had occurred. Could something have heavily injured Morax? Was someone killed? Is Guizhong safe? Did the Harbinger escape? Questions swirled through his head, only to disappear as he entered the Emperor's chamber.

The large doors slowly opened.

Barbatos prepared himself to feel the wrath of his dearest friend. He took a deep breath in and stepped into the room.

The only sound that could be heard in the desolated room, was his steps.

"Zhongli?"

There was no reply.

Venti slowly made his way to Morax's bed. A large collar was on the nightstand. It didn't look like it could belong to an animal. Nonetheless, it wasn't any of the bard's business. It seemed that the Lord of Geo was not in his chamber.

The Anemo Archon continued his search. But to no avail.

The bard wondered to himself where Zhongli could be. After a brief moment of concentration, he knew the place.

Venti meekly peered into the garden. There he was. The God of Geo was situated on the bench in the area of last night's attack. It was still a mess, a grim reminder of what happened. The ground was pulverized, and rumble could be seen all around them. The Emperor sat there slumped over, his face buried in his hands.

"Zhongli..." Venti called out his acquaintance's name. He slowly approached the sombre man.

"I can't seem to understand him, I have no clue what he's thinking" the hoarse voice croaked.

Venti took a seat beside his friend. To be honest, Venti wasn't the best at giving advice. Although he had suffered countless battles, he never found a healthy way to cope with losing those important to him. He searched for a bottle of wine tucked away somewhere in his cape. After a few moments, the bottle of wine appeared in the bard's hands. He motioned the object towards Morax.

Rex Lapis lifted his face from his hands. He glared at the other archon for offering such a thing. The atmosphere was tense, but Venti had to speak what was on his mind. This conflict has affected more than just the Harbinger and Zhongli. It had impacted the one that Venti cares for the most.

"Fights like this happen between lovers all the time. However.."

"I wouldn't call you two a couple."

Morax's face was expressionless, but anyone could see the pain in his eyes. He turned to face Barbatos.

"You can't be focusing on this much on a Harbinger" Venti spoke

"There is still conflict with the Tsaritsa, you should know better than anyone else what's to come."

Zhongli sat and listened. Venti was correct, Morax was acting selfish and not thinking of the bigger picture. He was failing as the ruler of his nation.

A brief moment of silence follows. Barbatos could see that Zhongli understood was he said and was deep in thought.

"You are involved with him just because he can heal you." The Anemo Archon did not wish to continue talking. He knew he was hurting the already vulnerable Morax. But it had to be done. For the nation of Liyue, some sacrifices must be made.

"As a friend, I will not allow you to get yourself hurt by falling for a man like him," Venti said as he left.

There once again, sat the Lord of Geo. He watched as the sun retreated past the mountains he had created. The pressure of everything was tearing him apart from the inside. But he had to be strong, he was Morax.

A tear rolled down from his cheek as he muttered to himself

"I can't let him go. Not a second time."