Kill The Maze

Thomas grabbed Minho by the arm, and said, "I have to get through that somehow!" he yelled in order for Minho to hear, nodding toward the rolling pack of Grievers which blocked the pathway between them and the Cliff.

They were even more menacing in the eerie swimming pool like glow that was emitted onto the Maze. 

Thomas waited in a terrified anticipation for an answer as Minho and Newt exchanged looks. The waiting for fighting was almost worse than the fear of it. 

"Hurry up and decide!" Teresa yelled at them both, "We have to do something quickly!"

"You lead," Newt finally spoke in barely more than a whisper to Minho. "Make a bloody path for Tommy and Teresa. Just... just do it."

Minho nodded, his worry for Newt crumbling away to hardened steel resolve. Then he turned toward the crowd of Gladers and said "We're heading straight for the Cliff! Fight through the middle, push the shucking things toward the walls. What matters most is getting Thomas and Teresa toward the Griever Hole!"

Thomas looked away from him, back at the approaching monsters, only a few metres away. He gripped his poor excuse for a spear, fear and terror coursing through him. 

We have to stay together, he busied himself by saying this to Teresa. Let them do the fighting, we have to get the Hole, we can't get in the way of their plan by fighting.

He felt like a coward.

He was ashamed. 

But any deaths would be in vain if they didn't put in the code, get the door to the Creators opened. 

I know, she replied, we should stick together. 

"Ready!" Minho yelled next to Thomas, raising his barbed wire wrapped club into the air with one hand, and a long silver knife in the other. He pointed the knife at the disgusting creatures before them, and screamed out the word, "Now!"

The Keeper,without even waiting for a response, charged forward. Newt was the one first behind him, and then the rest of the Gladers followed, a tight pack of roaring boys charging ahead to a bloody battle, their pathetic weapons raised. 

Thomas stood with Teresa, letting them all go past, feeling some boys bump into him, smelling their sweat, almost able to feel their terror and thirst for revenge washing off of them in waves.

He waited for the perfect opportunity for them to dash into it.

Just as the first boys crashed into the Grievers, with yells of battle cries and the sound of wood clacking against steel, Chuck ran past Thomas, and Thomas reached out and pulled Chuck back, grabbing him. 

Chuck glanced up at him with a mixture of relief and terror in his eyes. Thomas felt something break in his heart, and he made a decision, and he said, "Chuck, you're staying with me and Teresa."

Chuck had no idea how much weight that slipped off of Thomas's shoulders. Now he could help Chuck, keep him safe.

Chuck looked forward at the engaged battle. "But..." He trailed off, and Thomas knew the boy relished his idea though he was clearly as ashamed to admit as Thomas was.

Thomas quickly tried to save his dignity, just like he would've wanted someone to do. "We need help in the Griever Hole, just in case one of those things in there is waiting for us, you know?"

Chuck nodded quickly, too quickly. Again, Thomas felt the same pang of sadness in his heart, felt the urge to get Chuck home safely stronger than he ever had before.