[chapter eighteen] the night it all changed

✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Seven years earlier...

"We, are never ever ever, getting back together! We-ee are never ever ever, getting back together! You go talk to your friends, talk to your friends, talk to me! Cause we-ee, are never ever ever, getting back together!"

"Are you done?" A young Derek asked with a hint of a smirk lingering on his lips. 

"You know, I will have you turned into a Taylor Swift fan in no time!" A young Aires snapped proudly.

"Really? What makes you think I will ever start listening to Taylor Swift?"

A small giggle fell from the girl's lips as she shook her head at her brother. "Come on, Der. You already do!"

"No I don't." He snapped defensively. "And stop saying that." He hissed before shooting a warning glare at the girl. 

A scowl stretched on the blondes face as she angrily crossed her arms over her chest. "Why?" She demanded. "Afraid I'm going to tell your teammates that you are the biggest One Direction fan and also happen to listen to Taylor Swift?"

"Ree." He growled. "I love you but please- shut up."

Sighing, the girl messily pushed her her out her face before rolling her eyes. "What are we doing in the woods anyway? If Mom finds out she's gonna be so mad-"

"Sh!" Derek hissed whilst slapping a hand over Aires mouth and pulling her to the side.

Panic filled her eyes as she glanced around the woods, searching for whatever her brother had seen. In an instant, she was thrown into fight mode. She didn't have heightened senses, she couldn't see and hear things miles away- but that didn't mean she was useless. There was something out there, something hunting them. 

Her eyes glanced around in attempt to find them when suddenly, an arrow shot through the air and landed directly above the twos head.

"Hunters." Derek mumbled before scooping Aires into his arms and throwing her onto his back before breaking off into a sprint.

Knowing the drill, Aires wrapped her arms tightly around his neck as she rested her chin on his shoulder, searching the woods for movement. She was the eyes, watching for danger. 

"Derek, they are close." She whispered hissed in his ear as her eyes traced the shadows that raced beside them. 

"Just hold on! It's going to be okay, I promise."

"Der." She shrieked whilst looking at the blinding red light in the darkness, knowing exactly what it meant and what was going to happen. "They are getting closer. They tagged us!"

"FUCK! JUST HOLD ON AIRES, HOLD ON-"

His words were stolen from his mouth and replaced with yells as the two went crashing onto the ground. Quickly, Aires jumped back onto her feet and brushed the dirt from her body, but as she tried to pull her brother up, her movements stopped. Slowly, she turned her head to the side and watched as one of the hunters pointed a crossbow straight at her. They were going to get her, they were going to hurt her. Just as the arrow was released, her palm flew up, and she used her magic to shatter the arrow as it travelled in the air.

"Aires!" Peter screamed whilst rounding the corner before he picked up the small girl and threw her over his shoulder. "Come on, Derek. Get up!"

"Let's go!" Aires hissed with wide eyes. 

The three wasted no time and took off further into the woods, zig zagging their movements in an attempt to throw the hunters off.