fourteen

DAMON

"Alexandra," I greeted subtly sending a look Alba's way. She looked absolutely terrified and lost. It made my heart clench at the grief now covering her usual snarky face.

"Damon," she nodded, gracing me with a small smile that would make anyone feel lucky to receive it. I almost forgot how Alex could make you feel like the most important person in the world. She looked exactly how I remember with the same thick honey brown hair that fell in glossy waves down her back. Her big brown doe eyes that I see mirrored in Danny and the same milky complexion Alba has now. It sent a new wave of memories crashing through me at the time we spent together. "Alba."

"Mom, what are you doing here?" I pried my eyes from Alex, stunned at the lack of emotion in Alba's voice. One would think that seeing their dead mother would be quite emotional yet here Alba is not even batting an eyelash.

"Honey, I'm so sorry." Alex began taking a small step forward only to have Alba take one step back. I watched the pair in mild fascination. "Alba please just let me explain."

"You knew, didn't you?" Alba stared intently at her mother, anger lacing her words. "You knew from the moment you had me that something like this was going to happen."

"I didn't know that it would happen so soon. I thought I had more time Alba to prepare you. I didn't think he would come so soon." Alex pleaded, peaking my curiosity further.

"You should have told me. I could have protected you and you know that." Alba fired back really heated up now. I wiped a hand over my mouth to hide my smirk. She looked just like her mother.

"Honey," Alex shook her head sadly, her eyes betraying her calm façade. "We both know I had to die for you to be free."

"I'm not free mother." Alba stated making my eyes widen in slight shock at how familiar that sounds. "I know you would like to believe that, but it's a lie. We both know I'm not making it out of this alive."

"What are you talking about Alba?" Alex shook her head as the question fell from her lips. I'm very aware that I'm moving closer to Alba with each passing second like some unknown force is going to jump out of the shadows.

"Danny is sick mom, she's dying."

"I know," Alex answered sadly nodding her head, "but there's nothing you can do for her Alba."

"There is something I can do for her." Now that statement has me pulling up short as Alex and I shared the same confused look.

"Alba, what are you going to do?" Alex asked soothingly trying her best not to anger Alba further.

"You'll find out soon enough, both of you will." Alba said turning dark eyes on me. I felt myself recoil at the emptiness filling her eyes. It's almost like she flipped a switch of her own, but this was different. At least with a vampire you could see some semblance of an emotion at all times, but with Alba I saw nothing.

"Baby whatever you plan to do...you can't do it." Alex pleaded throwing a desperate look my way. She obviously wanted me to help, but what could I say to her? Hey I know we don't get along and you hate my guts, but you should really listen to your mother? Yeah that would go over well. "It's Danny's destiny to die Alba just like it's your destiny to save these people." Alex said gesturing to the surface and the people in Mystic Falls. "I mean do you really want them to die? Caroline Forbes the bubbly cheerleader that has bigger dreams than this town, or the Bennett witch that puts her life on the line time and time again because she knows it's the right thing to do. What about Stefan, Alba?"