thirteen

ALBA.

"What in the hell happened Alba?" Stefan snapped angrily as he squirmed against his restraints for the thousandth time. He's back to being his douchy ripper self, but that didn't fool me. I could see the softness in his eyes every time he looked at me. He was still my family.

"Well you were compelled to turn your emotions off after you foolishly fell in love with that doppelganger…again." I gave him a look as I grabbed a nearby chair and straddled it. "Haven't you ever heard that those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it?" I tsk'd shaking my head as he growled lowly in response.

"You know that's not what I meant?" He sneered, the veins under his eyes darkening momentarily before he's turning his head towards the wall. I sighed as I stood walking over to bend down in front of him. Luckily, Lexi dragged Elena out of here hours ago, so she didn't have to witness Stefan and I's interaction.

"Stefan look at me," I demanded looking over his timeless features as he clenched his jaw, "Hey," I demanded softly grabbing his face to turn it towards mine. The veins are still present as are his fangs, but that's not what bothered me. It's the obvious discomfort he has being around me. He was trying his hardest not to lash out and bite me, but it's a struggle for him. "You are still the same Stefan to me, you always have been and you always will be."

"No, the Stefan you knew is gone. He died a long time ago." Stefan finally broke lunging at me, but not getting very far. I didn't even flinch as his face stopped centimeters from my own. I simply sighed and flick one of his fangs in annoyance.

"Stop. Bad Stefan." I scolded holding back laughter at his surprised expression as I shuffled back to my chair.

"You've changed." He commented scrutinizing me as his thoughts ran rapid.

"So have you." I shrugged slinging my arms over the back of the chair to get comfortable. I watched him nodded softly as he mauls over my words.

"How old were you?" It's the one question I knew he would ask, but I was hoping he would have game me more time to think of my answer. I lifted my eyes from the floor so I can meet Stefan's gaze when I told him. "I don't remember."

"I was ten when you left." I told him, straightening my shoulders more for my benefit than his. "It was three months after mom sent you away that she was murdered and I completed my transition into Buffy the freaking Vampire Slayer." I tried my best to laugh it off, but I can tell that Stefan doesn't find it amusing. He can see right through my bullshit.

"Danny?" He asked softly. I blow out a shaky breath as I got a hold of myself.

"That's what I need to talk to you about."

___________________

LEXI.

"What is she doing here, Lexi? How does she even know Stefan?" Elena asked for the tenth time in the thirty seconds since we stepped out of the room. Good god, I can finally see why Alba can't stand her. "Lexi…"

"Elena!" I snapped holding up my hands to get her to shut up. "I will explain, but not here. Okay?" I watched her open her mouth only to close it when I gave her a threatening glare. She nodded in consent as I guided us out of the dingy tunnels into the open air. I led us to a lone bench in the middle of town square.