Chapter Ten

-----------------------------------------

VENGEANCE 

-----------------------------------------

Jocelyn wasn't having the best night. She was struggling to sleep, plagued by her feelings of guilt regarding Damian and how she couldn't find it within herself to tell him who she really was. That she wasn't some strange girl who refused to tell him her name, but rather an old friend that he used to laugh and train with.

Like a coward, she hid away repeating the same mistake she made when she didn't tell them that she wasn't exactly human. It nearly destroyed their friendship once, she just couldn't allow it to happen again. Best to avoid it all by pretending she never met him and save herself the future heartache.

It had her tossing and turning, wanting to feel the familiar sense of warmth and love she felt when she was with them. But all the more afraid that they wouldn't believe her or even scorn her new appearance. She was now weak and would only be considered a burden. How could they welcome her back knowing their lifestyle could put her in danger?

She was selfish and throwing her own pity party when her phone rang. She leaped up, excited and hoping that it was Damian, calling her because he too couldn't sleep. Instead, it was a familiar short number and the voice on the other side was gruff and sounded heavily annoyed.

"Is this Allison Carter?" the man asked, sighing among the loud banging and crashing in the background. Was someone being murdered?

"This is her," Jocelyn frowned and kneaded her brows, already knowing that she wasn't going to like this conversation. No one likes receiving a call from the police.

"Do you know Ronan Arwood? He says you're his niece, is that correct?"

"What did he do this time?" was all she could think to ask, inadvertently confirming all the previous questions.

"Drunken dispute outside of Maidens Marchen," was all he said, followed by an annoyingly familiar voice yelling in the background. "Can you come to pick him up before I duct tape his mouth shut?"

"I'll be there soon." She ran a hand through her hair and got up from the bed. Cramming the phone between her cheek and shoulder, Jocelyn yanked on some jeans and a comfy sweater. "Please tape him if you want to - might save both our sanities."

"With pleasure." the phone clicked as the line was cut off.

It didn't take long for her to arrive at the Gotham Police Department and with a disgruntled growl, she stormed inside the chaotic building.

-------- First POV ----------

It wasn't hard to spot him among the crowds of hoodlums and inked crooks. A couple whistled as I walked past, fists clenched tightly under the thick fabric of my sweater. An older officer with greying hair sat with his head in his hands, beside him was Ronan.

Ronan looked up at my approaching figure, eyes red and hazy, makeup smudged, with a thick slice of duct tape on his mouth. He tried to call out to me but the tape was strong and instead, he stomped his foot like a child, grunting muffled curses.

"You Allison?" The officer looked up and I could see a fresh set of claw marks on his cheek. I spun to Ronan and slammed my fist against his head. Once he stopped struggling in his seat I turned to the officer and apologized, "Apparently I popped a button on his shirt while trying to detain him, please remind him to trim his nails."

"I'm really sorry, are there any charges against him?" I pinched Ronan's shoulder as I spoke in a sickeningly sweet tone. The male wriggled under the sharp pain and tried to bite at me through the tape.