Chapter Twenty-One

-------------------------------

Morning 

-------------------------------

Alfred Pennyworth, butler at Wayne Manor and confidante to its residents. A man with skills ranging from cooking to medicine, to wielding guns and cutlery knives. All too aware of his master's secrets and the danger that lurks in working for such a strange family.

This place, nonetheless, was his home. The people he watched grow into strong individuals were his family. He cleaned their wounds, knotted their ties, helped with their homework, and became a shoulder to cry on.

But as decades passed with more blood being scrubbed from the halls, Alfred grew weary. concerned that his little clan won't be able to live normal, happy lives. They are so focused on being heroes in an infested city, that they forget that they are only human.

That they deserve to live their lives to the fullest. Their burden shouldn't be only theirs to bear. Soon that weight will crush them, immobilising them and rooting them forever in Gotham. Clipping their wings and forbidding them from escaping beyond the smog and grime.

But it also gave them life, purpose, and meaning that they couldn't go without.

Until she came along.

At first, she was just another person, perhaps a passing interest. They had their share of friends and lovers. It wouldn't be odd for such a beauty to captivate them temporarily. Because it was also temporary, their jobs came first, and eventually, that spark was smothered by their conviction. Too busy to maintain two separate lives.

It started with one, then another. Soon a wildfire broke out and they were all engulfed. Curiosity, desire, safety, normality. Each person wants something different from this one mystery girl. They didn't have to pretend, with her they could be themselves, both human and hero. And, after some struggles, she accepted it with a smile.

Alfred, too, was taken aback by her. Her strength and prowess, her passion and wisdom. Not to mention her perfect souffle. Alfred saw a change beginning to form in the manor. A bright spot in the long-established gloom. He was grateful for this girl, this gift.

When she died, it hurt them all, and Alfred worried that even he would lose hope. Because once you see the sun, you begin to despise the shadows. If they had never known that light, maybe they could have bared the darkness.

They began to crave that warmth, that safety blanket that she gave them. They didn't have to fear losing her, putting her in danger, because she could protect herself (of course, to a limit). She empathized with their trauma and pain. There was a bond that formed between them all that drew them close. When it suddenly broke, they clung tightly to that string and refused to let go.

So when she returned, Alfred was worried. Would it all go back to normal? Would everyone heal and forget? How would this work now that she's human and vulnerable? Would she come back? Did the others even want her back? How far did their feelings develop?

He didn't have to worry for long. After all, he eavesdropped on their plan. He didn't agree with their methods, but it seemed to be inescapable. So long as he was around, he'd make sure she was safe from the hungry beasts.

Of course, he was secretly cheering from the sideline. So far, he's raised traumatized children and obnoxious teenagers. It's about time he saw some cute babies in fuzzy onesies crawling around.